MPG

jimtcrowe

jimtcrowe

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So I ran into a fellow Thunderbird owner yesterday of a 2004. He told me his car got 28 to 30 mpg on the highway at 65 mph. He also told me it had 64 valves and it ran on 6 cylinders unless he got up to about 7o mph on the highway. (everything stock)

I typically get around 17 mpg city and have gotten 21 mph on one highway trip. So how much of his story should I believe. :))))

Moderator Note:
You should definitely replace your coils and spark plugs if you have not yet! You will get better performance.

http://forums.fordthunderbirdforum....005-ford-thunderbird-ignition-coils-cop.5040/

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a trip from Bethany Beach, Delaware to Nags Head North Carolina & back last week & I got 25.5 miles to the gallon. I'm happy with my 2005. 77,000 miles on it with new spark plus & coils.

well my best is 21 at 75 mph. So I guess I'm in line. I love the car so much I would have it no matter what the mpg, ha.

July of 2008 I averaged 28-30mpg while driving mostly at 70 mph in my 2004 Bird w/ a passenger on a trip from So Cal to Bend, OR. Mpg was aided by Magnaflow mufflers and a K&N cold air induction install.

I drive pressing the limits, passing and pretending I'm Sterling Moss. In one Bird I consistently get 28 mpg "on the road".
When I got another two Birds, they only get 25.5 with that type of driving. It's depressing. It could be that in the first one I installed new "plugs" and changed out 5 coils. Don't know what it is, but it's definitely better in the one car.

So, recent owner, how many valves does the V-8 have? Guessing 32. ??

JW in Dixie, yes, the V-8's in the retrobirds have 32 valves. 2 intake valves and 2 exhaust valves in each cylinder... :)

Back