Exhaust modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hence the term "blue streak." :D :p

Congratulations Brad, on taking the plunge! So tell me, on what road in the Chicago area do you take the chance on the 100 miles an hour speed without getting caught?

Honestly, I'm more concerned with safety than getting caught.

A friend of mine recently pointed out to me one of the stupid things I did in my "yute" (youth). I was driving an antique sports car doing over 150 MPH in medium traffic on the Dan Ryan expressway. Aside from the obvious, he pointed out to me that we had in fact been driving on 25 year old dry rotted tires that were only rated for 80 MPH.

I think just about any speed can be dangerous, depending on where/how you're doing it. The Saturday morning I was talking about, I did it after entering the stevenson expressway @ harlem. The entrance is raised up there, so as you're entering, you can see several miles ahead...no other cars, no cops.

Average speed on 294 24 hours a day seems to be close to 100 MPH. To me bumper to bumper traffic doing 30 MPH is more dangerous.

The short answer to your question....Usually not on side streets or alleys.

Ha! I can go faster on the streets in the suburbs than I can on the Kennedy or Eisenhower....I hate driving in bumper to bumper traffic. Why do they call them "Expressways" ? The only thing "expressed" on them are four letter words! Don't even get me started on the idiots who use the left lane for sightseeing.

Sorry, just some leftover road rage from driving home from Florida yesterday.....

One of these days I gotta hear someone's modified exhaust. I did just get my dash kit, so I'm waiting for warmer weather to install it.

I just got my T-Bird and have been craving the Borla exhaust as well. Is there any documented HP change/feel with it installed?

I have a 98 ZR2 Blazer that I put a Borla on as soon as I bought it, it made a noticeable difference. Then again I'm sure the exhaust on the T-Bird was a little better designed stock then the Blazer.

Jasper, Borla does make horsepower improvement claims, so I'm guessing you will notice a similiar improvement as you did on your Blazer. Anything that helps to restrict airflow less is bound to increase hp, but I think alot of it is psychological HP, from the improved sound. Everyone I know that has gotten the Borlas has been happy with them.

If you have the extra cash, get them, otherwise just do the muffler mod.

more pipes

well, i did mine 3 weeks ago and i love it. $ 65.00 eliminated the rear mufflers and it sounds great. put the factory tips back on to keep the original look. you can motor through traffic without your foot in the throttle and it sounds like an old trans am, quietly throaty. if you let it eat, it sounds like a boss mustang. now it doesn't sound like my grandfather's lincoln. now, i wonder about the nitrous kit...

jncyall said:
well, i did mine 3 weeks ago and i love it. $ 65.00 eliminated the rear mufflers and it sounds great. put the factory tips back on to keep the original look. you can motor through traffic without your foot in the throttle and it sounds like an old trans am, quietly throaty. if you let it eat, it sounds like a boss mustang. now it doesn't sound like my grandfather's lincoln. now, i wonder about the nitrous kit...

Are you telling us that you are running straight pipes with no modifications to the computer?

Brad and Clarence,

I've been lurking here for a month or more, wanting a little more sound from by '03 Thunderbird and you (and AZ Yellobird) have inspired me. I think the glasspacks are the way to go for me. I've gone to a few shops around here and they cannot get glasspacks that will fit (or don't want to order them). I'm going to call DMJ Automotive and order from them and just have them installed here.
My question is about the tips. What tips did you get that look so much better than stock? I know it's alot of trouble, but could either of you post a picture or two of the finished product?
Thanks!
Charles in Indianapolis

You can ask the guy at DMJ, but I believe he used magnaflow tips. They look almost identical to the factory originals, but I think slightly bigger, and I had them mounted sticking out just a little more than the originals. Look for a custom exhaust shop, I'm sure you an find someone to do it...if not, just schedule the work for a weekend, and do a day trip...I think he had my done in about 30 mins.

If I can pry the digital camera away from my 8 year old I will, however I have a sinking feeling he prolly used the cable to tie something up.

Brad,

I spoke with DMJ and have an appointment with them next week to put 'em on, with tips. Thanks for your input on the board, I'll post some pics when I'm done!

OK, I got it done today! Went up to Chicago from Indianapolis and had the glasspacks installed like others here - and do they sound wonderful. At idle, it has the deep, burbling sound of a V8. Under load, the exhaust smooths out and emits a supple bellowing sound. Smooth! A little exhaust moan is heard at speed - but nothing objectionable to my ears. Sounds like a Mustang to me. Not too loud, but I did notice a few more heads turned as I burble through parking lots!
Jimmy at DMJ was wonderful and he put great 4" tips on the back that really set the rear of the car off better than the stock ones. Took about 1 hour total.
Biggest surprise of all was meeting Clarence there by chance. He pulled up as I was just pulling away - and we have virtually identical cars! Red with NM wheels and - glass packs! Had a nice discussion for about 15 minutes, then headed out back to Indy. Nice meeting you Clarence!

Charles -

Last edited by a moderator:
Exhaust

Really enjoyed reading the threads on the exhaust sound. I've had my 03 Triple Black Premium for about 1 year now and my only complaint was that it needed a more throaty sound. I loved the reference of "no longer sounds like my grandfathers Lincoln"! I am going to check around here in the Kansas City area for a custom muffler shop that might have some experience in replacing the stock mufflers with glass paks. I'm assuming as well that you have taken off the resonators too? Thanks to you all for the helpful info.
Larry

Least expensive way out

Larry: Referring to post #52, why not just have the resonators removed and add in a pipe with your tips to see if that does the trick for you.
After all, if you're going the glaspak way, they have to take these off anyway. :cool:

Thanks for the suggestion George. I have discussed the less expensive options with two muffler shops in the Kansas City area and both discourage these options as neither uses stainless steel in their modifications. With all of the new exhaust systems in stainless steel, if any pieces are welded into any of the sections, rust will occur to the new pieces. He says the Borla is excellent but very expensive and likely too loud for what I want. I am still going to call around and see if I can find a shop that uses stainless parts and welds with stainless.
Larry

George,
I finally located a muffler shop in KC that does stainless replacement and welding. They carry the Magnaflow Mufflers (steelpacks). These mufflers are about $180 each plus labor to install. He thinks I would be happy with the Magnaflows and leave the resonators in place. If I want more noise after installation, they can take them off and weld in stainless pipe and add the chrome tips back on. I plan to visit them in the next week or so and have them look at my car on the rack. They have not yet done any muffler work on T-birds but do much custom exhaust work. They also stress the importance of staying with stainless and not intigrating aluminized metal with it. They say by leaving the resonators on it will be quieter in the cabin but still sound good out the back. I am going to listen to sound bites of the Magnflow Mufflers on their website and see if I can determine anything. With only 2,000 miles on my Bird now, I sure don't want to make a mistake and have to do it again. Have a nice evening.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back