Check Engine Light Came On

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Steak: Just curious how you made out. Was it the MAF, mass air flow, that needed cleaning?

George- the engine light went off24 hrs later- the car is runniing fine. I canceled my appt with the dealer- I guess the next time I get it serviced I will have them check the codes.

George- the engine light went off24 hrs later- the car is runniing fine. I canceled my appt with the dealer- I guess the next time I get it serviced I will have them check the codes.

Even though the check engine light is off, the code is still in the computer, I would recommend at least finding out what the code was for.

Good thought tbird....I thought I read somewhere that after x# of starts the code goes away. Does anyone know for sure?

Here's some info from a guy that had "check engine light on:
Computer read out said it was the IAC motor (Idle Air Control).
Work sheet shows CX-1731
Part XWYZ-9F715-BA Price..$245.76 from FORD (no aftermarket part)

Had repair done at independant garage I use as no warranty. 1st and only problem with car to date. Mechanic said this is a fairly common problem with FORD's but I have not seen this issue in any posts to date.

i have an 02, 27,000 and now problems as of yet. Wife has an 03 and 2 cop's have needed replacing. But thats it. I feel lucky after some of the things I've read.

i have an 02, 27,000 and now problems as of yet. Wife has an 03 and 2 cop's have needed replacing. But thats it. I feel lucky after some of the things I've read.

Were the COPS replaced under warranty? If you paid out of pocket for the work you can get reimbursed as Ford extended the COPs warranty on 2003's to 100,000 miles.

yes, replaced under warranty. but george tipped me off,or i would have had to pay. the dealership claimed not to know about the warranty.

Yes, George is worth his weight in gold....

Thanks for your very kind comments Quickdraw but, I just want to pass on any info I gather, from being around various websites.
There's so few of these cars around, as they get older we all may have a great need for this info.
As long as there are sites like this around, we will be able to preserve it and we'll do just fine!!:cool:

check engine light 03 w 30000 miles.

Had the same problem last week and it was due for a LOF so I had it checked out. It was running fine and the gas cap was tight. They replaced the oxygen sensor bank one. $109 plus labor.

My check engine light comes on so frequently I no longer pay attention. :eek: I've brought it back to the dealer and they always tell me there's no problem
A week ago, I had to go in for full brake replacement all around. I mentioned that the light kept coming on and going off. They told me $125 to check the codes!!! :mad: Last time I go there. Hellooooo Pep Boys!

My check engine light comes on so frequently I no longer pay attention. :eek: I've brought it back to the dealer and they always tell me there's no problem
A week ago, I had to go in for full brake replacement all around. I mentioned that the light kept coming on and going off. They told me $125 to check the codes!!! :mad: Last time I go there. Hellooooo Pep Boys!

Wow! $125? In the Chicago area they only charge $95 to hook up their equipment to see if there's an error code. DOes Pep Boys read the computer codes for free? I know AutoZone does.

Here's some info I picked up:
AutoWeek magazine says: “A check engine light is a reminder that the emissions are not totally up to snuff. (This sometimes is a continued annoyance when you install superchargers, headers, and/or off road pipes)
If it annoys you, disconnect the positive battery cable , reinstall and enjoy the many miles of carefree driving.”

Here's some other info from another ownerRe: Check Engine light is on
"I have a 2002 with 34,000 km. on it. Last week the engine light came on. Read lots of posts on this and was hoping it was an oxygen sensor. Had an appointment for a clean air test as needed one for license plate renewal, so continued to drive car and would get repair prior to test. A couple of days after light came on, the car started idling fast at times and then normal again. This continued but became more frequent and would stay at around 1400 RPM while in gear and stopped at traffic light etc. Would sometimes hit 2500 RPM on highway and stay there without foot on accelerator.(Cruise control not on, but car ran like it was engaged). Car otherwise responded like normal and every once in a while would return to normal operating RPM.
A long winded intro, but I wanted to give all the symptoms. Computer read out said it was the IAC motor (Idle Air Control).
Work sheet shows CX-1731
Part XWYZ-9F715-BA Price..$245.76 from FORD (no aftermarket part)

Had repair done at independant garage I use as no warranty. 1st and only problem with car to date. Mechanic said this is a fairly common problem with FORD's but I have not seen this issue in any posts to date."

Also if you do a search on 'check engine light' you'll find more info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back