1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Dismiss Notice

CD Error

Discussion in '2002 - 2005 Ford Thunderbird' started by Scratch, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Six CDs loaded into the changer. Today, I can't get the CD player to play or eject CDs. 'CD Error' is displayed in the window. Radio works fine...

Anyone else have this problem? Any recommended solutions?

John Hayman likes this.
  2. tbird

tbird Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Tbird: I have this same problem as well, ever since I purchased my car in March. I clicked on the old post link above, but site not found......

David S likes this.
  4. Had this problem with mine as well.
    Tried all the tests to fix but they did not help. Eventually had to purchase another stock system.
    Got a great deal at replacement radios.com . Hope they still some.
    Same system as the Lincoln.
    Good luck

David S likes this.
  5. My 2002 had that problem (not my 2005) I placed another CD in the slot when it was open to get a stuck CD to eject, and it came out. For me, it was only one slot (mine was slot 5, so I never put a CD back in that slot after I figured it out).

John Hayman likes this.
  6. My problem seems to be slot 6 which has a very small 'TP' displayed above the slot. That's my Beach Boys CD. Bummer...

I'm going to try this today.

John Hayman likes this.
  7. Unexpected pothole hosed our 2003. Tried all the suggested fixes, nothing. Think it's a replacer. Would like to try replace with new touch screen and backup camera.

8. tbird

tbird Super Moderator Staff Member

Search for "CD Error" with quotation marks around it.

http://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/search

9. Doesn't work, unfortunately. Guess I'll be pricing a replacement when I get around to it.

10. Yes, I had the same problem about 2 years ago. I had to have the entire CD/radio replaced. We had the work done at the Ford dealer.

11. Got a few replacement quotes from some local audio shops. Replacement charges for a state-of-the-art unit with all the latest tech gadgets was around $1000. I subsequently decided to replace the radio with an OEM system so we can keep the Bird as original as possible. Internet searches to locate a refurbished replacement were unsuccessful. What did the Ford dealer assess to remove and replace the radio with the CD6 OEM parts? Thanks in advance...

12. jjtbird

jjtbird Lifetime Subscriber Lifetime Donor

Well as it turns out I just received my radio back from the Ford Authorized repair. It's in New York as far as I know....
    Complete overhaul, stem to stern for about $270 which included the UPS or FedEx.
    Someone (me) put a cd with something (tape) on the label. If you have Ford r and r add about $100.
    I don't know the details but post a need and I will find out and post a reply...........................

13. Thanks for the info. A friend just had his 1968 Cougar radio refurbished by a guy just south of us on the north side of San Antonio. He put me in touch with the guy who did the work. We spoke yesterday, and he informed me that he has done several. It takes a couple hours and he can do it while I wait. We set up an appointment for two weeks out. I'll let you all know how it goes...

14. I tried that too, John. In fact, I pulled a bunch of fuses in desperation. Hopefully my newfound repair guy will have the answer. He's highly regarded around here...

John Hayman likes this.

Help us by sharing/liking this page below and G+1!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!