CD Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scratch

Scratch

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Six CDs loaded into the changer. Today, I can't get the CD player to play or eject CDs. 'CD Error' is displayed in the window. Radio works fine...

Anyone else have this problem? Any recommended solutions?

Tbird: I have this same problem as well, ever since I purchased my car in March. I clicked on the old post link above, but site not found......

Had this problem with mine as well.
Tried all the tests to fix but they did not help. Eventually had to purchase another stock system.
Got a great deal at replacement radios.com . Hope they still some.
Same system as the Lincoln.
Good luck

My 2002 had that problem (not my 2005) I placed another CD in the slot when it was open to get a stuck CD to eject, and it came out. For me, it was only one slot (mine was slot 5, so I never put a CD back in that slot after I figured it out).

My problem seems to be slot 6 which has a very small 'TP' displayed above the slot. That's my Beach Boys CD. Bummer...

I'm going to try this today.
Doesn't work, unfortunately. Guess I'll be pricing a replacement when I get around to it.

Six CDs loaded into the changer. Today, I can't get the CD player to play or eject CDs. 'CD Error' is displayed in the window. Radio works fine...

Anyone else have this problem? Any recommended solutions?
Yes, I had the same problem about 2 years ago. I had to have the entire CD/radio replaced. We had the work done at the Ford dealer.

Yes, I had the same problem about 2 years ago. I had to have the entire CD/radio replaced. We had the work done at the Ford dealer.
Got a few replacement quotes from some local audio shops. Replacement charges for a state-of-the-art unit with all the latest tech gadgets was around $1000. I subsequently decided to replace the radio with an OEM system so we can keep the Bird as original as possible. Internet searches to locate a refurbished replacement were unsuccessful. What did the Ford dealer assess to remove and replace the radio with the CD6 OEM parts? Thanks in advance...

Well as it turns out I just received my radio back from the Ford Authorized repair. It's in New York as far as I know....
Complete overhaul, stem to stern for about $270 which included the UPS or FedEx.
Someone (me) put a cd with something (tape) on the label. If you have Ford r and r add about $100.
I don't know the details but post a need and I will find out and post a reply...........................

Well as it turns out I just received my radio back from the Ford Authorized repair. It's in New York as far as I know....
Complete overhaul, stem to stern for about $270 which included the UPS or FedEx.
Someone (me) put a cd with something (tape) on the label. If you have Ford r and r add about $100.
I don't know the details but post a need and I will find out and post a reply...........................
Thanks for the info. A friend just had his 1968 Cougar radio refurbished by a guy just south of us on the north side of San Antonio. He put me in touch with the guy who did the work. We spoke yesterday, and he informed me that he has done several. It takes a couple hours and he can do it while I wait. We set up an appointment for two weeks out. I'll let you all know how it goes...

Update: Took the Bird to a highly recommended radio repair guy just after Thanksgiving. John was very familiar with the system and had it out of the car and on the bench in less than five minutes. He quickly diagnosed the problem as a tiny cracked worm gear which, he said, is the cause of 90% of these malfunctions. He was unable to locate a replacement gear in the shop or from within his resource network, so he removed the CDs and expertly reinstalled the radio. John will keep a lookout and let me know if he locates one. I'm determined to stay OEM, so it's AM talk radio or my favorite FM Americana station as suitable substitutes for the Beach Boys as I wait it out...

Update: Took the Bird to a highly recommended radio repair guy just after Thanksgiving. John was very familiar with the system and had it out of the car and on the bench in less than five minutes. He quickly diagnosed the problem as a tiny cracked worm gear which, he said, is the cause of 90% of these malfunctions. He was unable to locate a replacement gear in the shop or from within his resource network, so he removed the CDs and expertly reinstalled the radio. John will keep a lookout and let me know if he locates one. I'm determined to stay OEM, so it's AM talk radio or my favorite FM Americana station as suitable substitutes for the Beach Boys as I wait it out...
Any luck on the worm gear?

Hah! My Beach Boys CD is also one of those stuck inside- guess I’ll try the fuse thing today...
It was worth the $50.00 to retrieve the Beach Boys and five other faves stuck in their radio prison :) I need to call my repair guy to see if he has located another worm gear. I'd wager that is also your problem. It is a very small plastic gear that controls the transfer motion of the CDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back