Bug/Stone protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Goss's Garage segment of MotorWeek today was on protecting the headlights and painted nose of the new cars. He specifically cautioned against using the bra, since it could rub against the paint (sandpaper effect, I believe was the term). Pat brought in some fella who specializes in applying the 3M film to the headlights, and interestingly enough the same type of film is available to apply to the painted surface. Advantages included not rubbing against the paint and allowing for even weathering of the paint (from sun exposure). Disadvantage was that you could detect the edge of the film.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have seen the 3M film done on a new Jaguar and it looks great. The Jag had several areas done, you didn't notice it a first glance. I am thinking about having it done to my Yellow Tbird, only the cost would stop me. You have to get close enough to touch the car to notice it and when you do it don't take away from the car.

HeelBird, I have not priced mine yet, seen the Jag at a car show two weeks ago and I was out of town this past week. I intend to find out exact process and pricing this week, I'll keep you posted.

I was planning on calling my local installer tomorrow. Here is the link to the site from an earlier thread...cost for hood, mirrors, front bumper looks to be $370.00 before installation. You can also get a rear bumper piece, head and marker lamp covers, and even door sill and wheel well opening pieces. I've never seen this stuff in person, but it sounds great. If I get it installed, I'll be sure to post the results.
http://xpel.com/index.html

Flair

------------------
Todd Sheffer
65 Rangoon Red Convertible

Thanks for that info, Flair. Now, to find someone local that can perform the installation.....not exactly the kind of thing I want to tackle myself. Too pricey to take the risk of screwing it up!!!

Heelbird & 02Birdman:
Please keep us informed about the 3M protective clear shield coating. I need to see it on a vehicle before I can have it done to my Yellow Premium. I agree, I'd never try it myself. Let a professional do this. I live near Poughkeepsie, New York. Unfortunately, there are professional listed within 50-60 miles from where I'm located. I'm going to try and contact X-PEL AUTO direct and see if they can help me. It sure looks like a terrific idea! I am so paranoid about tar and pebble chips on the front and mirrors.

------------------
T'BIRD RUNNER

Just contacted my XPEL installer. I am getting a quote from him tomorrow afternoon. Hope to see some photos and "live" work before proceeding. I will keep all advised.

Flair

------------------
Todd Sheffer
02 Yellow - 7683

I already installed all the X-pel protection on my new yellow t-bird. Last summer I tested it on my Miata. You can barely see it. and it works great. I highly recommend it but it is tricky to install the first time. There are several previous threads on this topic.

Folks,

I met with my local installer and I am going to get my yellow bird covered with the clear XPEL bra in early August. Figured I'd let a pro put it on for me. No sense wasting nearly $400 worth of product and countless hours of my time.

Flair

------------------
Todd Sheffer
02 Yellow - 7683

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back