Body damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
S
When I did the "walk around" on my triple black, I noticed what I thought was some white paper or wrapping material on the rocker panel about where the right front tire jack point is. Of course, I didn't have my reading glasses at the time, didn't look too closely (it felt like paper), and was excited to get on the road, so I didn't think it was a problem.

After washing the car and taking a good look, it turns out that the "white" is actually the plastic material that the rocker panel is made of--without the black paint. Something took a bite (about 3 inches long and a quarter inch high) from this panel...maybe in transit or someone got careless with a jack.

The dealer where I bought the car is 100 miles away, so I showed it to a local dealer. They weren't too excited about the problem but suggested that I bring it in...then they would take it to a body shop...it would be sealed and repainted. Has anyone had any experience with damage to a plastic part? Is this something that needs to be taken care of right away (will is get worse?) or can it be put off until a convenient time?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I hate to even ask the question...but has anyone had to have any body work done? Last Thursday someone at work turned too sharp while backing out of a parking spot and scraped the entire passenger door and rear panel. The loser didn't even bother to leave a note!! Anyway, after I recovered from the shock of seeing my injured bird I looked more closely. The bumper was plastic and did more paint damage than body damage, but there is a slight crease in the door. I haven't taken it back to the dealer for repair yet, but I'm not going to be happy with just fixing the paint. I want new panels.

I'm heartbroken but on the mend. By the way I'm an extremely careful parking slot picker. The car was snuggled up next to two support pillars to provide protection on the driver side, leaving an extra 2-3 feet in my parking space for irresponsible drivers.

Originally posted by T 4 TWO:
but I'm not going to be happy with just fixing the paint. I want new panels.

The problem is your insurance company will be happy with the paint, and not with the panels, break out the checkbook.

this should not be an insurance claim fix. this should be a ford dealer fix. it will probably be there discretion as to whether or not to replace the panel.

BUT, whatever they do, the result should be that it appears brand new.

DON'T LET THEM SCREW AROUND WITH YOU ON THIS ONE.

Originally posted by NMTBirdLA:
this should not be an insurance claim fix.

Sounds like you have not had very many wrecks, or a very unusual insurance company. Nobody wants a painted fender, but that's what they leave out of the bodyshop with. Can you imagine the cost difference between fixing a fender and repainting it, and replacing the entire fender on a limited production car? I don't think it's the insurance companies responsibility to make the car "like new", or is it? Maybe I am naive, but I'd say the insurance company gets the last word because it's certainly not worth going to court over.

Keep us posted on how your insurance company responds to the body part replacment.

Originally posted by tbird:
Sounds like you have not had very many wrecks, or a very unusual insurance company. Nobody wants a painted fender, but that's what they leave out of the bodyshop with. Can you imagine the cost difference between fixing a fender and repainting it, and replacing the entire fender on a limited production car? I don't think it's the insurance companies responsibility to make the car "like new", or is it? Maybe I am naive, but I'd say the insurance company gets the last word because it's certainly not worth going to court over.

Keep us posted on how your insurance company responds to the body part replacment.

Complex issue BUT:
1-In California this is entirely an insurance issue.
2-The insurance company has an obligation to
"fix the car to the appearance of new". That is different than making the car like new. Even if the body parts gets replaced, they still have to be painted. You aren't going to be able to buy red fenders and yellow doors.
My experience over the years leads me to believe that the dealership is rarely the best place to get any body work done. That is a different business.
If you take the car to a good body shop it can be repaired in a way that you (or simplistic approach is to get a commitment from the shop doing the work that the car will be as good as new, and that you can't tell that it was worked on. You then have all the ammo you need if there is a problem.

T 4 TWO,

I don't think I have you listed in the database, please see my thread "Database Info for the New Birds - post here Update 1", thanks.

RTBRD

-

A cop car hit my bird in the left front wheel, left front fender and left front door.
State Farm, saying it is so new that the body shop must remove all related parts, repair the fiber glass fender tear, repair the metal door tear and replace the wheel and cap. This was done in Bradenton Florida by an excellent old coot type body man at an excellent shop that completed the job last November and it is not yet possible to tell that any one has been there. Completely satisfied.
Bmcn

My T-Bird was delivered with it's first scratches as standard equipment! The dealer had to paint both rear fenders and the drivers door. They did an excellent job on the painting, but I had to return it twice to get it buffed properly. Even at that it's still no perfect. Zaino and a free weekend should fix that. It really hurts to see your "baby" all banged up. Sounds like you guys have much more damage though...hope it all turns out well for you.

------------------
Premium Black w/Red partial
VIN - 1FAHP60AX2Y113877
sq#4044
build #14004
Delivered 3/29/02
2000 Chrysler Sebring Conv.
1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back