Backup Camera Detection from Reverse Wire

B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I installed an Android radio to replace the factory 6 CD changer and everything is working great EXCEPT when I try to connect a backup camera (link). I connected the detection wire and video cable to the appropriate points in the head-end unit, but when I connect the other end to the reverse light wire there is some low residual power (2-3 volts as measured by a multimeter) in the circuit even when the car is not in reverse. It is enough power that the head-end unit triggers its "show the camera image" mode, but not enough power that it actually powers up the camera - so essentially the head unit is stuck showing a "no image available" message. When I actually do put the car in reverse, I get a full 12v of power in the circuit, the camera powers on and I see the image on the head unit just like I'm supposed to.

The two things I can think of to try are: (1) insert a resistor in between the reverse light and the detection circuit to try to absorb the residual power (but not such a big resistor that it will absorb the power when the car is in reverse and the circuit is at full power) or (2) see if I can get a relay with the detection side high enough that it won't be tripped by the residual power (I don't even know if such a thing exists).

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
What you are seeing is the "bulb burn out detection system" which sends the low voltage to almost all bulbs on the car. The solution to your problem is going to require that you ( or a friend who is an electrical engineer ) create a blocking circuit which might be as simple as a 3V Zener diode or if the camera will not run on 9 volts, might need both a zener and a transistor switch. The components will cost less than 3 bucks but it will require just a little engineering.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem, as was stated it has to be the burnt bulb sensor causing the feedback triggering the camera to stay on ? Thanks

Mine works as it should. Here is what I did. bought a cheap general purpose automotive Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) relay from Auto Parts House for $3.95 and mounted it next to the battery under the spare tire. In the uploaded file section is a wiring diagram. Connecting through the relay like this will make your radio work.
backup cam relay.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine works as it should. Here is what I did. bought a cheap general purpose automotive Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) relay from Auto Parts House for $3.95 and mounted it next to the battery under the spare tire. In the uploaded file section is a wiring diagram. Connecting through the relay like this will make your radio work.
I simply bought a horn relay at Autozone, I connected it across the back up light and let the relay switch on the camera. Works fine.

Installed the relay, however it didn't work with a body ground, had to run another wire to the back-up light socket and use the GND as stated on the socket to make it work with the relay placed on post 85. Post 86 was the wire from the backup light , Post 30 to the backup camera and 87 to a fused 12 volt circuit. Thanks for all you help.

I installed an Android head-end unit (link) to replace the factory 6 CD changer and everything is working great EXCEPT when I try to connect a backup camera (link). I connected the detection wire and video cable to the appropriate points in the head-end unit, but when I connect the other end to the reverse light wire there is some low residual power (2-3 volts as measured by a multimeter) in the circuit even when the car is not in reverse. It is enough power that the head-end unit triggers its "show the camera image" mode, but not enough power that it actually powers up the camera - so essentially the head unit is stuck showing a "no image available" message. When I actually do put the car in reverse, I get a full 12v of power in the circuit, the camera powers on and I see the image on the head unit just like I'm supposed to.

The two things I can think of to try are: (1) insert a resistor in between the reverse light and the detection circuit to try to absorb the residual power (but not such a big resistor that it will absorb the power when the car is in reverse and the circuit is at full power) or (2) see if I can get a relay with the detection side high enough that it won't be tripped by the residual power (I don't even know if such a thing exists).

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any suggestions?
Yes, t bird uses a negative trigger for reverse lights but head unit wants positive trigger. U have to wire a relay to make it a positive trigger

Link? Model Number? They have thousands of products.
Hi, I’m new here but need some help. I purchased a Auto-Vox T2 rear view camera for my 05 Bird. I am struggling to find where to connect the pos wire to the reverse light as both gave POS voltage on them. I’ve tried to read different blogs, but some say relay, some say trigger wire. I would like to know the color of trigger wire and diagram. I have black wire hooked to ground. Please help!! Thanks so much.

Hi, I’m new here but need some help. I purchased a Auto-Vox T2 rear view camera for my 05 Bird. I am struggling to find where to connect the pos wire to the reverse light as both gave POS voltage on them. I’ve tried to read different blogs, but some say relay, some say trigger wire. I would like to know the color of trigger wire and diagram. I have black wire hooked to ground. Please help!! Thanks so much.
Did you read all the posts above? Seems to be explained previously.

I simply bought a horn relay at Autozone, I connected it across the back up light and let the relay switch on the camera. Works fine.
Could you show how the wires are connected? It would be a big help. I can't seem to et the relay to work as show above.

I’m finding the comments here very helpful as a novice with electrical and wonder if some Android devices differ. I’ve spent many hours trying to get an Atoto A6 radio and camera installed and can’t seem to get it to trigger on reverse, though live view and recording while driving, two cameras and wireless CarPlay for around $200 so far looks like a winner.
I’m stuck and reached out to Atoto because I really don’t want to keep digging into hard to reach connections over and over.

Attachments

• IMG_2761.jpeg
    IMG_2761.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2744.jpeg
    IMG_2744.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2741.jpeg
    IMG_2741.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
Back