AC problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Tbird no longer blows cold out of the vents. I suspect my CCV has failed. Think I am starting to understand why the previous owner sold! Glad I found this thread, it helped me. Thank you.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

CCV replacement made no difference. Ran the diagnostic test using the OFF+DEFROST, AUTO buttons as described in this thread (service manual says to press OFF+PANEL, AUTO which does nothing!) and the DATC displayed the 1265 code which the service manual says is "Cold air bypass door actuator circuit failure" and to then go run a bunch of test on DATC connector modules C228a&b to look for short-circuits, etc. but does not say where C228a/b can be found. I suspect behind the dash. Can anybody tell me?

Started running diagnostics on the AC, which refuses to blow cold air. It does get a little cool, but a long way from cold. At least it isn't hot air, right?

Tested AC pressures: 100 psi on high side, 30 psi on low side. I don't know, seems low. I can see the AC clutch engaging when the DATC is turned on/off with controls set to full cold on auto. Definite difference in vent temperatures when compressor is running. So it's doing something, just not much.

Following the test procedure in the Workshop Manual, I pulled the relay and ran voltage tests, found 11.5 V at pin 1 and 11.5 V at pin 3. Pin 3 carries the signal from the DATC to close the relay and activate the clutch, so the DATC is doing it's job.

Replaced the relay and pulled the plug at the compressor and measured 0.0 V on pin 2, should be >10.0 V. This is odd because I saw the clutch engaging, so there had to be postive voltage there, where did it go? I don't know.

Tested continuity from relay pin 5 to compressor pin 2 and found 0.3 ohm, so the wire should be good. So since there is voltage at the relay but not at the compressor, the manual says the relay must be bad. I have my doubts about that diagnosis because I saw the clutch engaging. If the relay was bad, the compressor would not run at all, right? Whatever, I will try what the manual says.

So I got a new relay and put it in, reconnected the compressor. Now the clutch does not engage at all and the vents do not blow anything close to cool. That's odd. Pulled the relay to check voltages again: 11.5 V at pin 1, 0.0 V at pin 3. So I somehow lost voltage between the DATC and the relay even though all I did was replace the relay and pull the connector off the compressor. Put the old relay back in, and still the clutch will not engage.

Ran the DATC diagnostic again. Now I have three codes: 2797 and 2799 (CCV passenger and driver circuits both open) and still the mysterious 1265 (cold air bypass door). I JUST REPLACED THE CCV. Checked the CCV connector, it's on.

It's just getting worse. I am rapidly losing patience with this thing.

Tested voltage at the CCV: zero on pin 2 of the connector, should be > 10 V. Manual says repair the circuit for an open failure. Why would replacing the relay and cycling the connector on the compressor cause the circuit to the CCV to fail? It's got to be the DATC itself now, doesn't it?

Is anybody out there?

2002 AC problems

Hello - I am also having AC problems with my 2002 Tbird - I can adjust heat to 90 and it will blow hot air or adjust to 65 to get cool air but nothing in between works. Car is currently at the Ford dealer and they are "troubleshooting" this and act like they have never seen the problem before. If I run the AC self test, how can I get the diagnosis from the codes? Does someone on this forum have this information. Thanks
I am new to this forum and my 2002 t-bird is doing just what your car is doing. Did you get the problem solved? And what was the solution thanks I will be looking for you answer. BillyD

Have you checked your ac low pressure switch. Might also have a high
pressure switch.

I am installing the second CCV valve in two years. When hot air blows out the dash vents its time to get another CCV.
Follow up:
12 65 is code for cold air actuator door. Well....not all T-birds have that door.............apparently it was removed after problems on 02 vintage Birds. The test function still lists it anyway.........So that was a waste of time to chase that code.

I did change the CCV valve again and made sure I used a Ford supplied part. Not aftermarket..........well not the cheapest anyway.

I also changed the temp sensors in the airbox........not expensive. All has worked since my last post. Wife is very happy!

2002 Air Conditioning:
My dealer's guys solved my air conditioning problems It was a hard one to solve.
A valve controls heat/cold.
That's why it ran cold for 15 minutes before the valve malfunctioned and hot air rushed in.
At first the Service Manager wouldn't believe me. I insisted that he drive the car home. So, on a 90 degree day, this 6' 5" guy jammed himself into the seat and drove home 60 miles in the HEAT!
2002 T-Birds apparently have this common problem, but dealers often do not know the answer.
Bg

I would like to change the CCV myself we’re can I get directions? Also do you have the part number? I was reading that you need to get the Bosch valve because the others are faulty. Thanks Billy D

I would like to change the CCV myself we’re can I get directions? Also do you have the part number? I was reading that you need to get the Bosch valve because the others are faulty. Thanks Billy D
2002 Air Conditioning:
My dealer's guys solved my air conditioning problems It was a hard one to solve.
A valve controls heat/cold.
That's why it ran cold for 15 minutes before the valve malfunctioned and hot air rushed in.
At first the Service Manager wouldn't believe me. I insisted that he drive the car home. So, on a 90 degree day, this 6' 5" guy jammed himself into the seat and drove home 60 miles in the HEAT!
2002 T-Birds apparently have this common problem, but dealers often do not know the answer.
Bg
What was the fix that they did

We have a 2005 T-Bird that when you accelerate, the cold air stops coming out of the vents and hot air starts flowing out of all the vents that is even hotter than the outside air. Even after we shut it off for a few minutes and do a restart, the driver's side is cold but the passenger side is only cool and eventually heats up again. My local mechanic can't fix it and I have to drive it 50 miles to the local dealership. Any ideas? We just moved here and don't want the dealership possibly taking advantage.

Tested voltage at the CCV: zero on pin 2 of the connector, should be > 10 V. Manual says repair the circuit for an open failure. Why would replacing the relay and cycling the I connector on the compressor cause the circuit to the CCV to fail? It's got to be the DATC itself now, doesn't it?

Is anybody out there?
I don’t know if I am doing the test properly. I started the car made sure the air was off, then I held the off button and the defrost for 2 seconds and then pushed the auto button. Waited 30 to 45 seconds. The result was nothing screen didn’t change . No reading. Am I doing something wrong? Help

Wish I could help. Just bought my T-bird and I unfortunately have more questions than answers. It would be great if a skilled Ford mechanic with “new” T-bird experience under their belt was a member of this forum!

Tested voltage at the CCV: zero on pin 2 of the connector, should be > 10 V. Manual says repair the circuit for an open failure. Why would replacing the relay and cycling the connector on the compressor cause the circuit to the CCV to fail? It's got to be the DATC itself now, doesn't it?

Is anybody out there?
I am having the same problem. Did you ever find the true colpret?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back