AC and Tonneau questions

JW in Dixie

JW in Dixie

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just bought a 2004 Bird; Recent dealer comment: AC needs 11 ozs fluid -

* What type of refrigerant - Freon or C-134?
* Where is the low pressure valve located? I see a yellow-coded one and a green one. My C-134 attachment does not fit either one. ??
* Is this a do-it-yourself task for an experienced wrench twister?

Good dealer to order a Tonneau cover reasonable price?

Thanks for any help. Cheers

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I added 134 to my 2005 Bird, but had to borrow a special fitting from a dealer friend as none of my fittings would work. The Ford tonneau cover is very difficult to get to lay flush/flat (car looks better without it) so I never use the cover. If you are going to show the car, and have a few days to get the cover fitted, it may be worthwhile, but for everyday driving the cover is worthless.

I added 134 to my 2005 Bird, but had to borrow a special fitting from a dealer friend as none of my fittings would work. The Ford tonneau cover is very difficult to get to lay flush/flat (car looks better without it) so I never use the cover. If you are going to show the car, and have a few days to get the cover fitted, it may be worthwhile, but for everyday driving the cover is worthless.
It is not easy to recharge the refrigerant but I did it on our '04PCR a month ago. You must jack up the car and remove the front left tire. Then there is a small (about 12" long x 5") panel to remove and in there behind the panel is the lo pressure valve fitting. I bought AC Pro at Advance Auto for about $45. for the tubing with gauge and refrigerant. The hose and guage is reusable and all you buy is another tank of refrigerant to use it again. AC works like a charm. Now just this week, the AC on our '05 is not blowing real cold air so must do the recharge for that car too!

Thanks for your reply. I think this is a job for my mechanic cousin. Cheers, JW

It is not easy to recharge the refrigerant but I did it on our '04PCR a month ago. You must jack up the car and remove the front left tire. Then there is a small (about 12" long x 5") panel to remove and in there behind the panel is the lo pressure valve fitting. I bought AC Pro at Advance Auto for about $45. for the tubing with gauge and refrigerant. The hose and guage is reusable and all you buy is another tank of refrigerant to use it again. AC works like a charm. Now just this week, the AC on our '05 is not blowing real cold air so must do the recharge for that car too!

My mechanic cousin advised that if the system is cooling at all, which it is, do not add refrig as it is easy to overcharge this system. Bring it to him and he will remove and capture all of the refrig and refill to specs. Since Winter is on the way I decided to wait until Spring to see if he can find the leak before recharging. Thanks for your help.

Back