2004 Top stalls during operation

Eventhorizon

Eventhorizon

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
When opening the top, it stalls after 1st fold. if I give it a push it will open the rest of the way. Motor still going/straining. Also. closes without a problem.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

More than likely low on fluid in pump. Mine did same and filled pump with fluid, now works like new

Go in and lightly oil all the moving hinges and pins, it helps. There is a spring that assists both of the folding arms, I am
sure that spring after all these years has lost some of it assist, which is causing some of the strain.

More than likely low on fluid in pump. Mine did same and filled pump with fluid, now works like new
Hi, where is the pump located and how did you fill pump? Thanks and happy motoring

The pump is located in the parcel shelf area behind the seats.

To gain access to the pump:

• Raise the top.
  • Unsnap the cloth cover on each side where it hides the carriage linkage and cylinders. Fold these back and clamp to the top liner with a small clamp or binder clip.
  • Remove the 7/16” bolt that connects the rear window defroster body ground on the back metal bulkhead under the window on the driver side.
  • Unplug the defroster wire connector attached to the same metal bulkhead on the passenger side.
  • Pull both wires through the cloth cover and tuck into the same fold clipped to the liner from step 2.
  • Starting at one end, unhook the cloth cover from the rear deck trim. These are held in place with plastic tabs in the seam of the cover. There is an open oval in the tab that slips on/off a plastic/rubber head. Pull gently, or pry with a plastic trim tool.
  • On each side where the cloth cover meets the carriage hinges, pry the cover back with the trim tool to remove the 3-4 plastic push pins.
Since the hydraulic system is a sealed system, if the fluid is low it had to go somewhere. Make sure that you inspect the top motor/reservoir, hydraulic lines and lift cylinders for leaks.

If you are just checking fluid/bleeding the system, you can leave the motor in place and pry out the rubber plug near the top of the side panel on the driver side of the motor/reservoir. The unit is wrapped in an insulating cover for noise. You may need to pull back the flap to access the fill plug. The plug is an inch long. I used needle nose pliers and went slow so as not to tear it. Once out, use a small squeeze bottle or a turkey baster to top up with multipurpose Mercon ATF to the bottom edge of the opening. Place a shop wrap or paper towel to catch fluid that seeps out. Run the top through a full cycle to lower and lift. Leave the rubber plug out while bleeding. Check the fluid level after each full cycle. When no more fluid is needed, and the down/up cycle is smooth, reinsert the rubber plug.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
IMG-7192.jpg

Convertible Top Hydraulic System.jpg

When opening the top, it stalls after 1st fold. if I give it a push it will open the rest of the way. Motor still going/straining. Also. closes without a problem.
I had the same problem and used a little silicone spray and it works much better. I sprayed the joints to give it a little lubrication

Go in and lightly oil all the moving hinges and pins, it helps. There is a spring that assists both of the folding arms, I am
sure that spring after all these years has lost some of it assist, which is causing some of the strain.
Hi would you be able to clarify where I can find all these moving parts for my top?

Hi would you be able to clarify where I can find all these moving parts for my top?
All the hinges and pins that need oiling are on the front convertible top section closest to the windshield, and the middle section, just lightly oil
any hinges and arms that move or pivot. Since you are only applying one drop of oil, oiling the wrong part will not cause any harm.

All the hinges and pins that need oiling are on the front convertible top section closest to the windshield, and the middle section, just lightly oil
any hinges and arms that move or pivot. Since you are only applying one drop of oil, oiling the wrong part will not cause any harm.
Replaced FEM and checked all fuses and relays across the entire car. Also lubricated the tops moving parts and blew some air into the crevices but to no avail.

Even after rebuilding the FEM and cleaning out the hardware for the top, windows wont index, top stalls about half way back and door ajar light is still on.

Someone mentioned a trunk switch sensor or hood switch in front as possible culprits but cant seem to find and diagnose what could be the issue with those two switches (before moving on to disassembling the driver and passenger door panels and working on those latches). Any diagrams or explanation on how to fix/adjust trunk/hood switches or sensors would be greatly appreciated.

Back