2004 - Sell or Repair?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If the valve cover is not warped, and the sealing surface is flat, I would reinstall.
Should be just fine with a new “o” ring installed.

Hello folks. I'm looking for some counsel. A few years ago I purchased dad's Pacific Coast Edition from my mom. About a year ago, I decided it was time to move on and put the car up for sale, but didn't have any serious takers. After all, it does have 193,000 miles on it. Its generally been a fun weekender, but I'm increasingly having a hard time justifying continued investment to keep it running, passing emissions tests, etc.

Today I had a misfire code. When I pulled out the coil, it was covered in oil. The local shop wants about $600 to replace the gasket. I guess the counsel I'm seeking is should I get the gasket replaced and continue to enjoy while waiting for that buyer to come along, or should I cut my losses and sell it, as-is, essentially for parts/scrap which probably isn't going to be more that $1000, if that. Cosmetically it's in very good shape and we do get a lot of nice weather days for top down this time of year. So what do you think...fix it or cut it loose?View attachment 30562
How much you asking for the ol gal

She's all back together. Started her up and didn't have anything come flying off or visibly leaking ;). I may have even found my pesky evap leak in the whole process but will have to put some miles on to find out. Thanks for the tips and advice. I had it listed for $7900 prior to this episode. I'll continue to drive it on top-down-worthy-days. DM me if you're interested in details, photos or have questions and want to make an offer. Thanks again and cheers!

If you don't have any physical limitations, replace the gasket and coils yourself. Directions and parts list are here- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...-05-ford-thunderbird-ignition-coils-cop.5040/

It's not rocket science. Maybe a friend will help you?
I’m thinking of buying a 2004. However, as a 75 year old woman, I am not a mechanic. So, I would like to see an answer that doesn’t suggest you fix it yourself. Not everyone is a mechanic. I’m getting very discouraged about buying this car as there are so many repairs and then suggestions you do it yourself. Are these cars just for do-it-yourself home mechanics. Anyone????

I’m thinking of buying a 2004. However, as a 75 year old woman, I am not a mechanic. So, I would like to see an answer that doesn’t suggest you fix it yourself. Not everyone is a mechanic. I’m getting very discouraged about buying this car as there are so many repairs and then suggestions you do it yourself. Are these cars just for do-it-yourself home mechanics. Anyone????
When this car was new, you were still in your 50's. Buying any car that was made 2 decades ago can be expensive to keep running .

both of my local mechanics here in austin would have fixed the gasket. As others stated it’s not a hard job and gaskets are readily available. Other parts can be harder to find but still not impossible. My particular model has a lot of miles on it and needs more love than some. But finding a mechanic if you’re willing to pay for the expertise is not hard in my experience. Good luck

Back