2004 misfire and more

I just talked to the mechanic that read those codes when i was having the issue , it was a code p2107 , he thinks its a throttle position sensor But not really sure hes a bmw expert , so my question would be can i replace just that tps or do i have to replace the whole throttle body ? If i can replace just the tps is it plug and play or does it need to be progarmmed at the dealer ?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Start using the search feature before you post. As you can see in your post above, there are links to buy the TPS and as you see it's a separate part.
I wouldn’t replace it until I see the values from a scanner to see it work in motion

I just talked to the mechanic that read those codes when i was having the issue , it was a code p2107 , he thinks its a throttle position sensor But not really sure hes a bmw expert , so my question would be can i replace just that tps or do i have to replace the whole throttle body ? If i can replace just the tps is it plug and play or does it need to be progarmmed at the dealer ?

The probable causes of fault code P2107 are:
  • A defective electronic throttle body
  • A damaged power train Control Module
  • A damaged throttle actuator control motor
  • Shorted circuit wires to the throttle actuator control motor
Before you do anything, Ford has the following Special Service Message related to this code:

2003 thru 2006 Lincoln LS and 2003-2005 Thunderbird with DTC P2107 and P2110; Perform a coil stress test on all ignition coils before any other part replacement is considered. An ignition coil may create RFI (radio frequency interference) resulting in these codes to be set.

Since this all started with a misfire on cylinder 6 and fault code P0306, and the only thing your mechanic did was to swap the coils, I would replace all ignition coils and spark plugs before I went any further. Remember, if you have oil on your ignition coils, a defective valve cover gasket is the cause, and if you find water or moisture in the spark plug/ignition coil wells, the water is getting in from under the cowl seal or getting past the wiper seal.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

After I purchased my 2003 T-Bird with 31K miles a few years back, I noticed a miss & intermittent power loss while going up a very steep hill. I took to my mechanic the next day and had all eight plugs and coils replaced. Been running smooth since.

Onboard diagnostics are easy to hookup and use. Just plug it into the port and start the car. Very simple process. Some you can leave hooked up and will record any issues as you drive. Most have the codes in on board memory. You can even get one that Bluetooth or WiFi to your phone. Pretty foolproof process and you can’t hurt anything. You can also get codes read for free AutoZone or the other parts stores.

cape cod ma
If you cannot use a code reader, an auto parts store will do it for you with theirs for free. Often though, the codes shown are not what really is the problem.

It is entirely possible a coil pack may have been bad right out of the box. Coils that are not arcing but that do have impedance problems will back feed into the computer and set all kinds of goofy codes and limp mode.

When the other coils (and PLUGS TOO, right?) were replaced, did any hole come up with oil in it? That is a valve cover O-ring oil leak that can cause shorting over time.

If you did not replace plugs too, DO THAT next.

When installing coil packs, the pro tip is to use a bead of silicone dielectric grease around the outer boot just above its end, then install. The grease helps a lot to prevent moisture arcing to the plug hole wall.

If you have a problematic triangular throttle body sensor like this, replace it with a rectangular one. That may clear it up.

IMG_3272.JPG

Back