2003 Transmission doesn’t engage right away

B

Boomer Gasman

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all. I’m the original owner of a 2003 TB. It has 90,000 miles. For most of the time that I’ve owned this car, it has run great. But again for most of the time I’ve owned this car when you first engage the transmission, there’s a delay before it actually engages. I have seen Comments saying there’s a module involved, or something else but I would finally like to get it fixed. Also, I’ve never had the transmission fluid changed in 20 years. I think it’s time for that……. I was hoping this group could make suggestions as to where I go with this. My usual mechanic is a 60-year-old guy who runs a one-man shop and does a spectacular job. But he told me it’s a difficult job and he really doesn’t want to get into it. What does everybody think? Thanks. Jim from West Palm Beach. (Boomer Gasman)

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I also have a 2003 T`Bird……..had many of the transmission quirks we’ve all read about. At or about 40K miles I decided to replace the fluid and filter and specifically selected a mechanic that understood exactly how critical achieving the proper fill level is for optimizing the performance of that transmission. After that service the shift points and the performance quite frankly was that of a new car. Choose a mechanic that knows that trans and you will be well served.
DH

I also have a 2003 T`Bird……..had many of the transmission quirks we’ve all read about. At or about 40K miles I decided to replace the fluid and filter and specifically selected a mechanic that understood exactly how critical achieving the proper fill level is for optimizing the performance of that transmission. After that service the shift points and the performance quite frankly was that of a new car. Choose a mechanic that knows that trans and you will be well served.
DH
Very true and I would bet you got a true Mercon V with the change. My transmission was transformed to like new after a partial/drop pan change with Motorcraft Mercon V. I suspected wrong fluid when the previous owner stated that it was just changed at a local oil change franchise. "All Trans" type fluids dont work well in this vintage of Fords. The trend has been to LV (low viscosity) fluids - not good in a 5R55.

Hello all. I’m the original owner of a 2003 TB. It has 90,000 miles. For most of the time that I’ve owned this car, it has run great. But again for most of the time I’ve owned this car when you first engage the transmission, there’s a delay before it actually engages. I have seen Comments saying there’s a module involved, or something else but I would finally like to get it fixed. Also, I’ve never had the transmission fluid changed in 20 years. I think it’s time for that……. I was hoping this group could make suggestions as to where I go with this. My usual mechanic is a 60-year-old guy who runs a one-man shop and does a spectacular job. But he told me it’s a difficult job and he really doesn’t want to get into it. What does everybody think? Thanks. Jim from West Palm Beach. (Boomer Gasman)
It’s a very simple job that any transmission shop or mechanical owner can do. The important part is removing as much of the the old fluid as possible. I removed the old using the cooler line, measure the old fluid as it comes out when it starts to slow down add more to the transmission through the return cooling line using a pressurized fill bottle when you’ve collected 12 to 13 quarts and there is no more coming out of the line shut off the car and reconnect the cooling line. Install the fill adapter in the pan and add 5 quarts start the car and and slowly add 3 quarts remove the adapter quick disconnect and see if fluid comes out reconnect and add another quart disconnect when fluid comes out steady wait until it drips reconnect and add 1/2 quart disconnect and quickly remove adapter and reinstall plan plug . The temperature at this point will be 110 to 120 if you work quickly I only use Valvoline Mercon V conventional transmission fluid it takes about 14 to 15 quarts to flush and fill. The car has to be level when you change the fluid. If you have a shop do it bring your own fluid

Where did you take Thunderbird? I live in West Palm Beach.

I do myself but any transmission shop can the main thing is to remove as much of old fluid and flush using new fluid hence the 13 to 14 quarts needed and use the mercon V conventional that’s why you need to bring your own so they don’t use universal type. Ask the questions and tell them you want it drained using the cooler line and refill like I said in my post.

Hi Fuzzy. I also live in WPB. The first place I am going to try is Royal Palm Auto shop. It’s a one-man shop, and Steve is better than great. I reminds me of the garage around the corner when I was a kid in St Louis. Steve is extremely knowledgeable and I find him scrupulously honest. So although I am tempted to try it myself, I think I will offer it to Steve 1st. Plus my radiator hasn’t been flushed in at least 5 years. So I wanna get that done as well. I AM planning to buy the parts and fluid myself so I am sure of what i am getting.

It’s a very simple job that any transmission shop or mechanical owner can do. The important part is removing as much of the the old fluid as possible. I removed the old using the cooler line, measure the old fluid as it comes out when it starts to slow down add more to the transmission through the return cooling line using a pressurized fill bottle when you’ve collected 12 to 13 quarts and there is no more coming out of the line shut off the car and reconnect the cooling line. Install the fill adapter in the pan and add 5 quarts start the car and and slowly add 3 quarts remove the adapter quick disconnect and see if fluid comes out reconnect and add another quart disconnect when fluid comes out steady wait until it drips reconnect and add 1/2 quart disconnect and quickly remove adapter and reinstall plan plug . The temperature at this point will be 110 to 120 if you work quickly I only use Valvoline Mercon V conventional transmission fluid it takes about 14 to 15 quarts to flush and fill. The car has to be level when you change the fluid. If you have a shop do it bring your own fluid
Brax, is there a sensor or something that should also get replaced?? I have read things on this forum about a sensor.

Brax, is there a sensor or something that should also get replaced?? I have read things on this forum about a sensor.
No codes no need to change anything. Transmission fluid should be changed at 30k miles or 6 years there is no life long fluid. The shop can check the solenoids and adjust the bands if you want but a full flush is needed to ensure most of the old fluid is removed. As I think about it you should have the filter internal and (external if equipped) at the same time. On all birds I have worked on only 1 had the external

Just to let you all know. I took everybody's advice. I bought the parts. I took it to a mechanic that I trust. He did the swap. Now it runs great. There’s no hesitation when you first started up. Thank you to everybody.

Back