2003 Drivers door ajar warning, and no window operation

TwoTires

TwoTires

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently placed the hardtop on the car and something changed? I noticed that the drivers door warning light was on. Then the auto window drop wasn't working and the drivers window will not operate, but the passenger window will? Coincidence? I removed the top to check proper insertion of locking pins. Seems OK. Any ideas?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I know its too late now, but while you were checking the top pins, was all OK?

Wow! Did not want to hear that. I bought my 2002 the first week of April. Yes, less than two months ago. The car only had 42,763 miles on it and I got it for $17,00. Having been a one owner car, I thought I was getting a good deal. The original owner traded it in at a dealership and they in turn wholesaled it out. I then bought it. After only 8 days, number 8 coil pack crapped out. I changed all 8 coil packs and plugs. A four hour job for me. Next, the hardtop now leaks water near the front mounting points. Next the map lights started staying on. Next item was the passenger side window failed to lower when you tried to open the door. Then the door ajar warning light came on. I noticed today that the passenger door glass will not close completely. I really wish I had found Thunderbird forum before I bought the car. It seems as though all the problems other unfortunates have experienced, so am I. I guess as you state, the next thing to rear it's ugly head will be the FEM. Geez. At least there is great advice sharing among us owners of 2002-2005 'birds.

The car only had 42,763 miles on it and I got it for $17,00. Having been a one owner car, I thought I was getting a good deal.
The car may have low miles, however, it was still made over two decades ago. The FEM issue is pretty easy to resolve. If you did not replace the Valve Cover Gasket when you did the COPS, the problem may return. It's very common on many cars for a failing valve cover gasket to foul out spark plugs and coils-

Good to know. I only removed the inspection covers and gaskets appeared to be ok. Time will tell. Thanks.

First off some basics: The symbol or lighted indicator that the driver's door is ajar is the only design the symbol has. Even if the passenger door or the hood is unlatched or the trunk lid is not closed tight the lighter indicator on the das will show you that the driver's door is ajar. The next item to realize is that the car has absolutely no way of knowing if the hard top is on or off the car. There is NOT a single sensor or interlock on the body or the hard top to identify whether the hard top is on or off. The electrical connection you may have noticed on the passenger side rear hard top pin is the rear window defroster connection.

But there is a correct process for putting the hard top on the car & if those steps are not followed in their order you can easily get leaks at the windshield header. It is also possible that the drain at the header is clogged and not draining rain water or wash water correctly. When the hard top is lowered to the body only move the latch handles mid-way in their travel. Then push down on the top at each windshield header corner & get the header bolts well started into their seats in the hard top. Do not tighten these two bolts entirely, leave them a bit loose. Now go back to the rear laatch handles & latch the rear completely. Then go back to the header & tighten the corner bolts as tight as your hands can get them. In a couple of days of driving recheck these two bolts to insure they have remained tight.

Very sorry you have had coil troubles already but the coils once changed will last you a very long time, often 40K-80K miles.
Are you certain the map lights are staying on all the time or have you got the dash dimming switch clicked "on" and the lights are staying on until the 30 min or so time delay automatically turns them off. By the way this same time delay shuts down most of the car after 30 minutes, I believe it even shuts down the power outlet on the center console.

And now the FEM, window & door lock malfunctions often do come from a failing FEM but not necessarily all the time. There can be some corrosion on the connectors inside the doors on the switches or on the connectors of the FEM. Before you have the FEM R&Red either by someone or yourself I'd do a bit of trouble shouting in the individual circuits.

I certainly wish you the best with this car & I hope what I have passed on to you helps

I got the map lights to go off for a while but the problem has resurfaced. I'm familiar with the light switch as it's the same as on my Fusion. The hardtop was on when I bought the car and has not been removed. I reset the passenger window when it started giving me problems. Now that the problem has come back, I can't get the window to reset. I followed advice from another owner and used my phone to make a video of the trunk light. It appears to be working properly when opening and closing the trunk. Thanks for your input.

I recently placed the hardtop on the car and something changed? I noticed that the drivers door warning light was on. Then the auto window drop wasn't working and the drivers window will not operate, but the passenger window will? Coincidence? I removed the top to check proper insertion of locking pins. Seems OK. Any ideas?
I tried a code reader.... Nothing! But, the symptoms continue to expand. So .... I believe it is the FEM. The Company in MI wants $190 to refurbish it, not that bad. Hope this problem isn't something that happens often!! I did find a useful Youtube video on removal of the FEM:

MODERATOR NOTE: There are also instructions here- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...d-front-electronic-module-fem-2002-2005.5560/

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my red T-bird two weeks ago with the known problem that the door ajar light was lit and the key in the drivers side door lock, the key does not turn the lock. I can only lock/unlock the car with the remote control. The seller provided an actuator i’ve been turned down by Moby Auto and Midway Ford to do the repairs. Midway says the problem is the key cylinder since the actuator receives the remote control signal.

any assistance in this particular problem or a good mechanic in the Miami area would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Continuing with this topic. I bought my red T-bird two weeks ago with the known problem that the door ajar light was lit and the key in the drivers side door lock, the key does not turn the lock. I can only lock/unlock the car with the remote control. The seller provided an actuator i’ve been turned down by Moby Auto and Midway Ford to do the repairs. Midway says the problem is the key cylinder since the actuator receives the remote control signal.

any assistance in this particular problem or a good mechanic in the Miami area would be appreciated

Had the same problem with my 2002, bought the actuator and had a private garage replace it. Works like a charm!

Back