2002 Power Steering - Identify noise symptom

kerrigan
Last seen
Viewing forum list
Thunderbird Year
Howdy folks,

This noise began suddenly on our 2002 and the steering failed.
  1. The power steering sensor switch was actually leaking. Today I replaced it.

2. After replacing the switch and the fluid, there is no leak, but the noise remains.

3. I have not yet tried actually steering (let alone moving the vehicle), following the replacement of the power steering sensor switch.

The noise is shown in this video. Can anybody help identify if that's a more major issue, please?

Sincerely,
    Kerrigan

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

That could be air trapped in the system, make sure the fluid level is correct let it idle for a little bit then drive it around for a little while, assuming it was not making this noise before it broke down.

A whine heard from the power steering pump can be caused by air in the system. A power steering purge procedure must be carried out for power steering noise complaints that are accompanied by evidence of aerated fluid. When I purge the air from the power steering system I use a vacuum pump and a special stopper so the air will not be reintroduced back into the system.

Special Tools.jpg

Here is the procedure that I use:

1. Remove the power steering pump reservoir cap and check the fluid level.
2. Raise the front wheels off the floor.
3. Tightly insert the stopper of the vacuum pump into the reservoir.
4. Start the engine.
5. Install the vacuum pump and maintain maximum vacuum of 20 to 25”.
6. Do not hold the steering wheel against the stops for more than 3 to 5 seconds at a time or damage to the power steering pump can occur.
7. Cycle the steering wheel fully from stop to stop 10 times.
8. Stop the engine.
9. Release the vacuum and remove the vacuum pump.
10. Fill the reservoir with approved transmission fluid.

Repeat the procedure if the noise is still present.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

OK - Understood!

• Since we mention ‘transmission’ fluid, I want to be sure I’m clear - Am I to use an ATF in the power steering reservoir?

I know the hydraulic pump reservoir wants some type of Mercon.
But I thought the power steering reservoir would just be a standard fluid?

Sincerely,
Kerrigan

I assume you mean you replaced the pressure sensor. I just performed this repair in November. I bled the system by rotating the steering wheel lock to lock (full left to full right) about 15-20 times with front tires lifted off the ground. There is also a TSB about power steering pump noise and an approved friction additive. I purchased it but forgot to add it during the fluid swap and so far no noise. Also, make sure you used the appropriate fluid.

Thanks everyone, really helpful so far!

• Does anybody know how I will be able to tell if the power steering pump has really failed? Like, needing-a-swap failed?

This issue is resolved!! 🙌
Here is what we did:

• Replace power steering fluid sensor
- Since I have no lift, jacked vehicle and used a combination of adapters (including right-angles) to sneak the socket up around the sensor, then connected drill to loosen it, then the reverse process to install the new sensor (with a torque wrench at the final step, which had a rotating adapter).

• Add power steering fluid MERCON V
TO power steering AND hydraulic fan reservoir(s)

- Followed instruction provided by people in this thread (Thank You!) and results were as follows.

1.) On the first test, the appalling noise seen in my video from the pump, did not go away but would get more quiet once the engine warmed up.

I also noticed that after the first test, the fluid went down a lot, but I did not see any leaks.

Next, I replaced the hydraulic pump fluid altogether.

2.) On this test, the pump went all quiet, leading me to wonder if it was the hydraulic fan all along, but I’m pretty sure this was just a matter of air finally getting out.

After this test, the fluid went down a little bit again, but still did not see any leaks.

• DRIVE TEST
Interestingly, the issue is resolved and also another issue of a whining sound when turning fully left or right while accelerating is no longer present, and now seems to only happen if I try to do this immediately when starting the vehicle (which I don’t). This whining sound was happening all last year and I wonder what this was an early warning of.

Thank you everyone!!

Ford issues a TSB about the power steering pump noise. Add 1.7 oz of Motorcraft Additive Friction Modifier XL-3, It cured both our 2004 and 2005 Tbirds. TSB attached.
I bought the additive per the TSB but forgot to add it when I refilled after replacing the pressure sensor. Fortunately, I've not experienced any noise with the fresh fluid. I guess I can always add later if needed.

Back