2002 Power Steering & Hydraulic Fan Dual Failure

T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I purchased my bird from my dad with 69K miles on it. I've had it for a few years now and only driven about 4K local miles. Last fall I noticed a little smoke from the engine bay and could see something was leaking so I parked it figuring I can work on it this spring. The other day I started it up and could hear a groaning sound. I turned the steering wheel and it got louder, so I thought maybe the power steering pump failed. I searched this forum and found the TSB about flushing the system.

Today I started the bird and after a few minutes the groaning sound stopped and I noticed what feels like complete failure of the power steering system. The steering wheel, while the car is at idle and parked, will not turn without a lot of effort. I noticed a leak and oil on the ground under the driver side engine. I immediately checked the power steering reservoir and it shows it is full. I then noticed the hydraulic fan reservoir is about 2/3 empty. I don't hear any noise from the fan at idle and am guessing that's where the oil on ground is coming from.

Are these common failures? I've got the 2002 factory workshop manual and will begin diagnosing. Any special considerations I need to be aware of while servicing the power steering system and hydraulic fan?

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I purchased my bird from my dad with 69K miles on it. I've had it for a few years now and only driven about 4K local miles. Last fall I noticed a little smoke from the engine bay and could see something was leaking so I parked it figuring I can work on it this spring. The other day I started it up and could hear a groaning sound. I turned the steering wheel and it got louder, so I thought maybe the power steering pump failed. I searched this forum and found the TSB about flushing the system.

Today I started the bird and after a few minutes the groaning sound stopped and I noticed what feels like complete failure of the power steering system. The steering wheel, while the car is at idle and parked, will not turn without a lot of effort. I noticed a leak and oil on the ground under the driver side engine. I immediately checked the power steering reservoir and it shows it is full. I then noticed the hydraulic fan reservoir is about 2/3 empty. I don't hear any noise from the fan at idle and am guessing that's where the oil on ground is coming from.

Are these common failures? I've got the 2002 factory workshop manual and will begin diagnosing. Any special considerations I need to be aware of while servicing the power steering system and hydraulic fan?
'Recommend checking the power steering pressure sensor. Mine began leaking just enough to make a "garage-keeping" on my otherwise clean garage floor. The Thunderbird was 13 years old when it began leaking. About $65 in 2017 at AutoZone. It appears to be common failure item as many sources have them. Access for removal/replacement is difficult (on steering relay about 2' inside from the LF wheel). The purpose of the switch is to increase engine RPM when in turning mode at/near idle RPM.

Fred Hudspeth (AKA Silver Bird)
Tyler, X

Mine was not groaning, but not a "2-finger" turn. I had no leaks anywhere. At the suggestion of my mechanic, I did the simple, easy things first. Changed the PS fluid, then the pressure sensor, suspecting all the time that was the FEM, according to what I had read on this site. A few weeks and $400+- later, for the FEM repair, it was working good as new.

I had a similar issue with my 2005 T-Bird. It turned out to be a 10 minute fix. One of the o-rings at the Steering rack was leaking. I detached the hose and replaced the o-ring and refilled the reservoir. Voila, Fixed.

Back