Why does the new Thunderbird get so much attention?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would anyone care to analyze why the new Thunderbird gets so much attention? There are other rare and special automobiles that have existed in the past and some that exist today, but I feel we all would agree that the new Thunderbird steals the show. Is it nostalgia? Design? Limited Production?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Having owned one of the first Mustang Convertibles in 1964, located in Atlanta, I would have to say that radical design difference (as was the case with the Mustang)is what draws the attention and such positive comments. GREAT, isn't it?

Norman,

I think it is a combination of all three that you list. Discounting nostalgia, the design alone stands by itself, it is just a beautiful car, this can be witnessed by the younger people who oggle the car and probably do not remember (or even know of) the originals.

For many of us, as discussed on previous threads, the Bird has roots deep in our past, for me, the first car I lusted for. I am sure this is true for many who were not lucky enough to be able to obtain one.

And the limited number of cars on the streets surely makes it stand out even more. I have seen so many of the new Lexus two seaters (don't remember the nomenclature, 430SC?) now that I hardly take a second look. Same with the Boxter. I certainly notice a Ferrari, Contach or Prowler when one goes by.

Norman,
Being an owner of a '57 Thunderbird that stops people in their tracks, I now see the same reaction woth the 2002. What I think and kind of think others feel, is the '55 to '57 were great cars that everyone loved. Then the Bird started going through changes, some years were good and others just horrible, but none were 2 seaters. We had to sit back and watch the Corvette become the only American 2 seater car. The Corvette is a sports car with too much power and not to mention very high insurance rates, where as the T-bird always had plenty of power it was not as threatening. The Thunderbird is a cruiser with a more classy aura. (PS: I am not knocking the Vette, just pointng out the owners are looking for something different then the T_Bird owners) Then Ford went and stopped making them all together. Now people are seeing the Thunderbird again and in a closer version to the originals. It not only takes them back to the "old" days but now they have a chance to own one.

I think the reason is simple ... it a near perfect design that is beautiful, sensuous, sexy and strong, yet delicate. It appeals to just about everyone, young/old, male/female. Most don't know or care about what powers it, just that it is gorgeous.

My wife won't drive the car because of the attention it draws (fine with me!) I bought a PT Cruiser in April of 2000. I am familiar with people staring and gawking. I do find it interesting that with the T bird the stares and comments are more subtle than they were with the PT Cruiser. I actually had people come up to me in service stations and ask if they could drive the PT Cruiser.
Driving the T Bird with the top down one hears a lot of "look, there is the new Thunderbird". Had it 5 weeks now and nobody has asked me to let them drive it.

Ladies I know I will be considered sexist with this statement but its a fact...

Most people that bought T-Birds as pleased visually as a general rule.

This is in all aspects of their lives. See a great looking woman/man (yes some ladies are also pleased visually) and pleasure is derived from that experience.

Its the same thing with cars...

It just so happens that there a whole lot of visual people out there that dont own Thunderbirds...

They are the ones flocking around the car in the parking lot...

I consider the Tbird the equivalent of a great looking woman, in body and spirit obviously

I think two passenger cars have an automatic attraction too, just like motorcycles.

Many of those looking are sorry that they have to buy a family car.

Erict-I agree with you, and as a lady don't find your remarks sexist.

The first time I saw a T-bird was the two-page yellow ad in a magazine in November 2001. IT WAS THE MOST AWESOME LOOKING CAR I HAD EVER SEEN! I actually said out loud, "Oh. My. God. I have got to have that car!" At that time, I knew absolutely nothing about it, I just knew that I wanted it because it was so gorgeous. All the other things the car offers are just gravy.

And I thought all this time that the young ladies were looking at me in my new jumbo Tam O Shanter cap that tr cruiser recommended that I get. I guess its the car.

BA-it could be the hat...depends on if you get a thumbs up or a point and a laugh.
eek.gif

I am fortunate enough to own a new T-Bird, a Prowler and a C5 convertible..forst to the gentleman that mentioned insurance for a Corvete, I pay $77.00/month for the Corvette and $83/mo for the Thunderbird..
As far as reaction, nothing I have ever driven, ever, ever has elicited more reaction than the Prowler. Nuf said...
The T-Bird, no matter what color seems to be such an attraction as there are still not many running around. I'm sure like mine, for most it is not an everyday driver. In a year or so when there are 50,000 of them driving around they will probably not draw as much attention. It is a sexy, smooth automobile coveted by anyone who has a sense of style and panache.
Ford has and will continue to promote the vehicle different than Chrysler did, or should I say did not, do with the Prowler.
Each vehicle has it's own unique qualities as the are fabulous eye candies.
JMO

I forgot about the insurance problem being a sort of local thing. In New Jersey you can count on $1500 to $2000 or more per year to insure a Corvette. My bill for the Thunderbird came today it was $1100 for the year.

-

What is the appeal of the Thunderbird? Two things come to mind:

1. The round windows in the top. This is fairly unique in contemporary automobile styling. Don't think I've seen the round windows since the fifties, though there must have been others. The Tbird stands right out.

2. When was the last time you saw a Ford two-seater? Or any USA two-seater other than the Corvette and a few exotics, like the Prowler (which I love, btw).

-

Norman, I believe it is a combination of things as others have already said. The folks old enough to know of the original car are taken back to their past...evokes fond memories. The younger set sees it as a well designed rolling sculpture (sorry for the steal, Jaguar). It stands out, the lines are captivating. One girl yesterday slowly pulled up beside me at a traffic light, eyeballing the car as she moved up. After she stopped, she started pulling up further to get a look at the front end (I thought she was going to go thru the intersection before the light turned green)...maybe she was trying to figure out what she was seeing.

The Thunderbird ad logo from the '60's may tell it all: "Unique in All the World".

Heel I think you are right on:
When they point, I believe they have seen a Tbird for the first time.........And when they stare they are trying to figure out what make of car it is.(almost all of my co-workers have not seen one on the road, but all have read articles about the Tbird.Same reaction from them when they saw mine)

Where I'm from, there just isn't any around to be seen,For what ever reason.

You are right.
I was recently asked by one of the "younger set". "Excuse me, but is that a new car?"

TE]Originally posted by HeelBird:
Norman, I believe it is a combination of things as others have already said. The folks old enough to know of the original car are taken back to their past...evokes fond memories. The younger set sees it as a well designed rolling sculpture (sorry for the steal, Jaguar). It stands out, the lines are captivating. One girl yesterday slowly pulled up beside me at a traffic light, eyeballing the car as she moved up. After she stopped, she started pulling up further to get a look at the front end (I thought she was going to go thru the intersection before the light turned green)...maybe she was trying to figure out what she was seeing.

The Thunderbird ad logo from the '60's may tell it all: "Unique in All the World".
[/QUOTE]

-

-

Had to share this one today.

I crossed the border into the United States this afternoon. I was going to my marina to pay my dockage fees for next summer.

I was pulled over at the border... Not for a formal inspection but because the guy on duty at the booth was going on break and wanted to check the car out from closer.

I got the same reception on my return trip into Canada... But this time the lady was nice and asked if I would not mind pulling over so she could look at the car.

If this keeps up I think I am going to get a CanPass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back