Why did you buy your Thunderbird

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marketing Project

UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESS
Hey Guys, I was wondering if you could help me out a little. I'm a college student at FAU and I'm doing a consumer behavior audit for the 2003 thunderbird, hints the name Marketing Project.

I'd basically just like to know why you bought this car. do you like the style, did it bring back memories from your youth, did you like vintage cars or do you just like the looks people give, etc. Also could you tell me your age and gender.
Thanks for any help you guys give me. By the way I love the car :).

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

We bought the 2002 T-Bird for the following reasons.
1. We liked the style and when you looked at it you knew that it was a T-Bird.
2. It does remind us of the '55 - '57 Bird.
3.It was new and not every one had one.
4.Financialy we were able to afford this new "toy".

We use it in nice weather and it will not be driven in the snow. We have driven it on a trip to Wisconsin and back to Pennsylvania. Over the last 37 years we have purchased about 15 new cars. They have ranged from two Corvetts, a Merceded Benz, and various G.M. products. Although I have owned about 20 vintage Fords, the T-Bird is the first new Ford that we have ever purchased.

We now own several vintage cars.
1955 Ford Sunliner Convertible.
1955 Ford Skyliner glass top Crown Victoria.
1931 Model "A" Ford Panel Delivery truck.
1971 Chevy short bed Pick Up.

Im a 60 year old male and my wife is 59. We have been married for 37 years and retired for 12. I hope that this information helps your marketing project.

When this car was first announced I was surprised, since the name "Thunderbird" had been discontinued only a few years earlier.
In the first press release of the concept car, I was sold on it.
I had a 1956 Thunderbird that I knew would eventually need time and money invested into it. I am not handy/mechanically inclined and therefore it would be all money going into the car over the next several years.
Yes, the old early birds hold their value but is that the only reason we want them? I think it's to drive and have fun. So I decided to sell the '56 and go for the latest in technology and design. I just was not prepared for the long wait that happened or the lack of my dealers knowledge about what was going on at Ford.
The members of the T-Bird forum such as this one is what made it acceptable. These guy's pulled together and shared information.There were even people inside Ford (anonomously) that helped in the forums with some data. It made the wait much easier and all of us a little smarter in what to watch for and questions to ask.
In fact, if people at Ford were to review the postings on this site and other older ones they would absolutely be tuned in to a real cunsumer survey that would cost them nothing and allow them to eliminate some of the design deficiencies. In fact if our comments helped them build yet a better roadster they may even be willing to contribute, like a silent recall, to the people who bought early and have major issues with design such as the removable top rubbing on the deck.
I looked at the SC430 Lexus and the BMW but for me they were too small. The Jaguar was great, but too costly for a fun car. I believe the Thunderbird has it all. Looks, a little old time style and the latest in technology. And yes, it get's a lot of attention where ever I go.
I am a male aged 66. Good luck on your paper and all the successes in the future, so maybe one day you too will be a T-Bird enthusiast and we'll meet you out there.
MATBird

In 1954 I was an eighth grade drop out working at sears lubing cars. When I heard of the new Tbird I, for the first and only time went to a dealers showroom to see what a "sportscar" looked like up close. I sat in a black Tbird with red upholstered trim. I moved the steering column back and forth. I had an orgasm just salivating all over the dream that lasted all my life.
When I heard of the concept car in the auto show I convinced my wife to order the first new car of our lives. It took over forty years to save enough to buy my dream. It has been worth the wait.

After 31 years in Government I retired to stop and smell the roses.
For my whole adult life I worked hard, raised 4 kids which took all my money and during that time always drove a old used car.
Now all the kids are gone, got some money in my pocket and free time on my hands.
I brought the car as a retirement gift to myself with my paid leave balance when I retired.
I chose the TBird because it brought me back to the Happy Days of my youth. Plus it was a brand new car. I had not had a brand new car since my single days right out of High School. Never been a Ford man but I could not be happier with the car. I am 100 percent happy with it and my life. I thank God for his blessings. God Bless America--is this a great country or what!!!!

My wife and I love convertibles. We have been driving GT Mustangs for years. We saw the T Birds and loved them but were told there was a long wait because they were sold out so we forgot about it. I happened into the local dealer just when someone who ordered a red premium couldn't take it, and ended up buying it. We got it because we loved the way it looks, we love the way it rides, we love the room trunk, and we plan to have it be our retirement car and a roadster we can actually take out on trips and enjoy.

I have heard of people who are "saving them" as collectibles. I figure it will take 20 years of "saving them" before they will be collectible and that's a poor investment. I'm enjoying mine now! Love it.

I was born in 1954 so I do not remember the t-bird. For me it was love at first sight. So I guess you could say I was an impulse buyer and I would have paid more. Could not believe how inexpensive it was. I look forward to now celebrating my 5oth birthday with the 50th anniversary model. My husband laughs because I NEVER drive it. I just wash it and it sits in my garage. Oh, I take it out some, well he does. Put he does not understand why I am not driving it when I do not keep a car more than 18 to 24 monthes. I hope I have not been too much of a challenge for your marketing research. By the way, this car has also generated an obsessisve compulsive buying habit in me. I now by anything with the word t-bird and all I do is read t-bird books. HAHA Wish this had spell check admin.! Cindy Miles

I sat in one on the lot. . .and 2 hours later it was my 55th birthday present from my wife. Best impulse purchase we ever made. No reason just impule.

Hey, Thanks guys for all the information. You guys are telling me exactly what I'm looking for. Keep the info coming!!!
I'm 23, so I can't afford a T-Bird, but I love the styling of the car and wouldn't mind owning one some day.

Like many others on this forum, I am a baby boomer who fell in love with the early 55-57 birds. I was 10 years old in 1957 when the last two seat TBird was made and dreamed of owning one ever since. After the Thunderbird name was retired in 1997, there were rumours that a retro 2 seat TBird was on the way. Upon seeing pictures of the new Bird, I knew that was the car for me. With my wife's blessing, I began in the Spring of 2001 to find and buy (at a reasonable price)the car of my dreams. It took a year of effort but on April 20,2002 with a lot of help from people on this forum and a California dealer named Vic Schwan of Hemborg Ford in Norco, CA I took delivery of a Thunderbird blue TBird with removable top. My wife and I are both 55 and have loved driving the car this Summer. It gets a lot of attention and favorable comments. Since April 20, we have had 85 different people ride in the DEWbird (trust me I have the list of names and dates). While some of the other sports cars may be faster or even better built (marginally), this car lives up to it's reputation and is a GREAT car.

Good luck on your research project.

------------------
2002 blue/blue/full blue
2001 Toyota Highlander
1990 Acura Integra

I wanted to buy a restored '56 T-Bird to drive when my son turns 16 (next year) and wants to drive my car. My wife wouldn't hear of it because she objected to me driving a car without modern safety equipment. She wondered aloud why the carmakers don't reissue the old classics with modern features. I explained that Ford had basically done that with the new T-Bird. She took one for a test drive and mine should arrive in two weeks.

1. Retro styling
2. Modern safety features
3. Fun

------------------
Uncle Heavy
Waiting for Blue/Blue '02

For me, it was the looks. I took one look at a photo of the Thunderbird's unveiling at the Detroit Auto Show in '99 and I fell instantly in love. I mean, my heart hammered, I actually started sweating, and I became immediately obsessed. Not being a car buff, only later did I learn that its looks hearkened back to the old T-Birds, with which I am now equally obsessed. I have a reverence for all things old, and maybe that contributed to my feelings as well.

I have owned only one other new car in my life, a 1983 Toyota Corolla, which I still have. I'd always sworn I would never own an American car. But this beauty has completely changed my mind. For years, car design has been nonexistent -- almost everything on the road now looks like a puffball. This drop-dead-gorgeous car we own has changed all that.

I'm a female, born in 1955.

My story begins in the of Fall 2001. I had been driving a 1991 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series for six years, and my wife suggested that perhaps it was time to replace the Lincoln with a new car. She asked if there was a car that I would enjoy driving. After some careful thought, I determined that there just wasn't a car out there that excited and motivated me enough to go through the process of buying a new car.

Skip forward to May 2002. As I was mowing the grass in my front yard, this unusual-looking blue car came down the hill toward the corner where I live. I stopped the mower and stared in awe as it cruised by. I had no idea what kind of car this was until I saw the familiar Thunderbird script on the side. The quest had begun.

That same day, I logged onto www.ford.com and checked out the new Thunderbird. I must have looked at the various features about the car on the web site for almost two hours. I continued to research the Thunderbird over the coming weeks and wondered if this was the next car for me. I shared the idea with my wife and some friends at work. Then came the clincher.

When I returned from a vacation in mid-June, my co-workers told me that one of our fellow employees had purchased a new Thunderbird, and it was the blue color to boot. I immediately went to the parking lot and admired his beautiful car from all angles. When I drove it the next day, I was fully hooked and began going about the serious research to find a new blue T-bird.

One month later, on July 24th, I drove away from our local Ford dealership in our new 2002 Thunderbird Vintage Blue Premium T-Bird. I have owned and driven many different cars over the years, but this car is hands-down the most fun car of them all. It had been years since we had jumped in the car just to go for a ride. We have become huge T-Bird fans. Now my wife has ambitions to own a red one!

The new Thunderbird is still a rare sight on the road. I think many new Thunderbird owners are keeping them garaged as collector cars. Not us, we’re driving ours! It's my daily ride! We have neighbors down the street that own a blue T-Bird (the inspiration for ours), and other neighbors have a black one. Other than those, I’ve seen one red and one yellow on the road since May. The looks you get driving this car are hilarious. Some people obviously have never seen one, and almost break their necks trying to get a good look. Total strangers crank down their windows and ask questions. You get lots of thumbs-ups and waves. It’s a blast.

The three top configurations you can use on the T-Bird (convertible, soft-top and hard-top), along with the Beach Boys 1960’s hit “Fun Fun Fun (‘til Daddy took her T-Bird away)” are the inspiration for our personalized license plate FUN X 3, which is ordered and on the way. Thank you Ford for having the vision to conceive and build a car that will provide enjoyment for many people over the coming years.

We got ours because it's flat-out cool.

Male, 47 years young.

------------------
PK- Blue/Full Blue/Blue Top #16336

I was in the market for a roadster in early 2000. I looked at everything available, but except for one - the Miata - didn't really like the styling. I was also reluctant to buy a foreign car, having grown up in Detroit and worked for Ford. I figured the Miata was at least owned by Ford, so I could rationalize it. After test driving one, however, I decided it was just too small.

What I really wanted was a car with the styling of the early British roadsters. I hated the 'flying wedge' shapes of most modern sports cars. [It was OK for the TR7, but looks cookie-cutter now.] I wasn't prepared to deal with maintenance of one of the classics, so I dropped the notion.

Then I happened to see a photo of the concept T-bird from the 2001 North American auto show. It was exactly the car I had envisioned, but could not find. It was a Ford, even! I have to admit my recollection of T-birds was limited to the heavy boats of the 70's and 80's. I never associated the name with the original two-seaters until much later. Even now, I have to admit I never cared for the fins and 'brows' and wouldn't have considered owning an original.

The new design got me so excited, I started a coast to coast search for a deal. Most dealers were very coy about accepting orders and refused to quote a price until I found one in New Jersey who was willing to drop ship to California for just over MSRP. I had to wait almost a year before taking delivery in January.

This car has been an absolute joy to own and drive. I can't see myself ever giving it up. I'm not into customizations. Why tamper with perfection? I want to keep it looking good, but am not afraid to drive it and enjoy every minute on the road. Don't tell me about resale value or better performance. I don't care. I got the car they designed just for me! :)

[forgot to give the vital statistics] - I'm a 51 yo male, and this is the only car I've owned since I bought a new Firebird in '78. That ought to blow your demographics. :)

blue premium/blue/full blue accent '02 T-bird and the license plate reads 'NO RTRO'.

-

Your research project is an interesting one, when you are complete I think it would be of interest to post a summary on the forum.

My story is similar to the others, I was 10-12 years old when the first two seat t-bird came out and my uncle who worked for a Ford dealer in Tulsa OK had one (white with a port hole) I can remember sitting in the drivers seat and wishing and dreaming of one day owning one.

Over this years this dream continued however so did the other things in a normal life, which included the usual school, marriage, career, family (family cars) and the expense that goes with these.

Fast forward to 2000 when news reports started to surface about a new two seat t-bird, I followed all the news, when to several car shows in a 500 mile radius of Dayton OH just to look at the t-bird. However once they were released the $5,000 - $10,000 over MSRP and the dealers that treated you like they were doing you a favorer just to show you a brochure and the report of one to two year wait discouraged me and once again made it look as if the dream was out of reach.

In late July 2002, I stopped by my local dealer just to talk about the possibility of ordering a 2002 he said he still had two units left he could order and he would order one for me at MSRP. My wife said I should go for it, so the new red/red premium with partial red interior was ordered on August 2, 2002 (this was to be my birthday gift for the rest of my life) I haven’t stopped smiling since then. I call daily to the computer voice and the bird is scheduled for production this week with delivery week of September 30, 2002.

I should start camping out at the dealer soon waiting for the big truck to pull up.

Reasons 1. style
2. memories of my childhood
3. performance (I can only imagine)
4. to full fill a 46 year old dream
5. to steal a slogan from a harley t-shirt, “If I have to explain you wouldn’t understand”

Age 56 years young, male

My first car was a 1960's something Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spyder convertible when I was 17 yrs. old. Just like everyone else. I sat in the Corvette and the T'Bird as a young boy and felt the mystique of something special. Over the years I have had 3 MGB's, a Porsche,A Delorean, a couple Mercedes sedans, and for the last 6 years have purchased 3 new Ford Pick-ups because of my hobbies and projects. The last child is about to leave home this week. I now work out of my home instead of driving 125 miles round trip/day to work; so utility is not an issue. I had been contemplating purchase of either an Audi TT or a Porsche Boxster. But when the new Tbird came out I knew it fit my image of what I thought was a gentleman's sport's car. The Porsche and the Audi TT overstated who I was and I liked the way the T bird was built compared to the Euro cars and allowed me to buy USA. I'm 53 yrs young. Oh, did I say that my wife liked the car also? She is 10 years younger than I and gave the green light to the project.

I was 12 years old when Ford introduced the Thunderbird, There was a Ford dealer at the top of our street, I went there and sat in a new black Tbird and fell in love! In 1974 I purchased and restored a black 1957 Tbird and in 1978 I purchased a black restored 1955 Tbird, I drive them only in the summer. When I found out that Ford was going to reintroduce the two seat Tbird I knew that I must have one. I went to the Detroit auto show in 2000 to see the car and again fell in love. I placed an order with deposit with my Ford dealer June 1, 2000 for a black 2002 Tbird. My state tag reads (R 3RD BRD). This car I drive we took it to Myrtle Beach in the spring and will again this fall, it is a great road car.

Good luck with your project.
Male 59 feel 25 in the Tbird.

mike02redbird, The project won't be completed until the end of the semester(around the end of Nov.) I'd be happy to post a summary about it then.
Thanks again,
Brian

I bought mine because it is one of the few cars out there that have real style. It is appreciated by young and old, men and women, car nuts and car haters. These days you have to look twice to tell the difference between a Jaguar and a Taurus, or a Benz and a Honda. The T-Bird is unique.

Back in 1992, I bought a new white V-8 T-Bird that was totalled a year later in a head-on collision. I walked away (slowly). That car saved my life, so I've always had a soft spot for the Bird.

I'm a 57 year old, male musician, and yes, my horn does fit in the trunk.

I'm a 43 year old male who has always been a Ford Lover (especially T-Birds and Mustangs). As I was growing up in the 60s and early 70s, my parents and their friends owned an assortment of classic Fords including early 'Birds, '57 & '58 hardtop Ford retractables, and countless vintage Mustangs. I sank my savings into a slightly used '78 Diamond Jubilee T-Bird in '79 and have been addicted ever since. Been through an '87 Turbo Coupe, '94 LX, and a '97 LX which I still own along with my '02. I always felt that they were one of the best values out there for the money. As an example, I put 241,000 miles on the '87 Turbo Coupe before I sold it to a friend of mine. It now has 350K+ on it. Been through 3 timing belts, one clutch, and one differential, but still going strong on the original turbo. I doubt that many Porsche owners could say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back