Whistling coming from sub woofer on 2002 TBird

PhilD
Last seen
I have just started getting a high pitched whistling noise from my sub woofer which is obviously interference from the engine as it changed pitch slightly depending on speed. Any idea what could be causing this? Its only just started it, if I turn the sound system off then back on it stops but just today it was doing it more frequent. I'm thinking perhaps a filter of some kind is breaking down somewhere.

Hoping someones knows or has an idea what it is and where it is.

Also what is the best way to access the sub woofer? I've never had to touch it before.

Thanks in advance.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Back years ago, when spark plug wires were going bad and arcing it could be heard in the radio. Possibly your COPs are failing. Its's a common problem on these because of the engine heat. Have the COPs and plugs been serviced lately? Or some kind of service that was near them? Maybe one has come loose. I've seen where wires will arc inside. I would assume the 'boot' on the COP could do the same thing.

Back years ago, when spark plug wires were going bad and arcing it could be heard in the radio. Possibly your COPs are failing. Its's a common problem on these because of the engine heat. Have the COPs and plugs been serviced lately? Or some kind of service that was near them? Maybe one has come loose. I've seen where wires will arc inside. I would assume the 'boot' on the COP could do the same thing.
Good thought, I did change them a few years back and had no problems with them so will check. Thanks. My other thought it maybe a wire has shifted somewhere behind the stereo system it does happen I was just hoping perhaps someone else had this happen and found out it was directly related to something.

Since it changes with the engine speed I would suspect it's source is motor related. Alternator?? There are filters that can be put on the radio power wire that will help cancel electric related 'noise'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just started getting a high pitched whistling noise from my sub woofer which is obviously interference from the engine as it changed pitch slightly depending on speed. Any idea what could be causing this? Its only just started it, if I turn the sound system off then back on it stops but just today it was doing it more frequent. I'm thinking perhaps a filter of some kind is breaking down somewhere.

Hoping someones knows or has an idea what it is and where it is.

Also what is the best way to access the sub woofer? I've never had to touch it before.

Thanks in advance.
Hope you found your broblem. Mine was making a high pitch sound after I installed an after market jensen radio because I did not hookup the subs. Now that I have hook them up the buzzing went away and the sound is much better.

I hate to admit it but I changed the alternator in my car trying to get rid of the radio noise and no luck. In all fairness I did find some issues that needed to be addressed.

Usually this noise is caused by a bad ground, or bad capacitor usually in the amp.

Back