What We Do? What are Our Hobbies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m an English Professor—Shakespeare--whose first car, in 1960, was a “Bi-Centennial Edition” 1953 Ford 4-door sedan. The “Bi-Centennial Edition” was distinguished by a special horn-ring on the steering wheel, and little else. Trust me, I looked. And looked. And looked. (Honk if you remember horn-rings.)

My hobbies are woodworking, gardening, and computers--especially computer graphics and web page design. I’m only an amateur, but it’s still fun to see what you can make a web-page do. I’m a music and movie freak, with too many hundreds of CD’s (The people at Amazon know me as “One-Click Tom”) and a growing collection of DVD’s. (Hint: The normal hearing loss that starts at age 18 or 19 accelerates as you age. The trade-off is that when you are older you can afford a really terrific Dolby system to overcompensate for the loss.)

My Craftsman-style house was built in 1922, and when I bought it in 1980, it was basically redeemable junk. My Thunderbird looks spectacular in the old Craftsman porte cochere. After 22 years of hard work, I am proud to say that the house is no longer junk, except for the things I did twenty years ago, which now need re-doing.

I have owned standard poodles since I was 24. My wife and I currently have three standards, Gabriel, Gerard, and Dominic. Dominic is an overgrown miniature with the heart of a standard. Gabriel is huge--noticeably bigger than the two Dobermans, the smallish German Shepherd, and the Husky in his advanced obedience class. The poodles love to play in the woods and swim in the creek at our cabin near Hot Springs, Arkansas. Standards are pretty tough, believe it or not—Gerard and his now-deceased brother Jack once chased a bear away from the cabin. Okay, it was a smallish bear, and okay, it wanted to get the hell away once it realized we and the dogs were there. But you should have heard it roar! We have a pond with many goldfish and a cat, Grendel. (Hey, I said I was an English professor.)

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I am retired now, after 25 years working as a Fire Fighter/ Captain, for the City of Santa Rosa, Calif. I was retired out two years ago, with a bad knee, so I still limp around a bit. As for hobbies, I have fix things. Sounds vague, but I have worked on computers to Cars, from lawn equipment to home appliances. I have done this for a long time and trying to slow down and get back into my fishing, which I love, for the piece and quite I find when out on the lake.
I have wanted a 2 seat bird, from when I saw my first one, I’m not sure how old I was, but I was with my Mom, and were visiting a good friend of hers, and she had this little car, with the port hole windows. My Mom said she sure liked that car and I just stared at it, now I have one and I still stare at it a lot.
Mater of fact, its Saturday morning, and the sun has come out after long dreary week, and it is time to give my new baby another bath.

------------------
Blue/Blue Prem. w/full accent
In my Garage as of 1/25 #6333 LIC: BLU TB

I am going to try this again as I messed up on my first post.
I am 59 Y/O and spent 33 years in public accounting before taking early retirement 3 years ago to become president of a compensation consulting company. We work with bank execs and boards on a national basis consulting on all forms of comp.

My wife of 37 years both enjoy a variety of hobbies. We have a motorhome and enjoy traveling; a boat on the river here in Minn. and a boat in Ft. Lauderdale for when it is frozen up here.

In addition to being avid boaters we have had old T-Birds for some time. We have a 56, a 57 and a 62 Sports Roadster of which they only make slightly over 1,400. My wife also bought a 55 Ford F-100 street rod about 2 years ago with a 1998 Corvette(of all things)engine. I guess she is a rodder at heart.

We have 2 adult daughters and 2 grandchildren.
We bought our 02 bird from a small dealer in northern Minn at MSRP in November. Drove it home and it has been in the garage ever since waiting for better weather.
I enjoy reading all your posts. This is a great site. We are looking forward to Thunder on 66 and hope to meet many of you on the trip.

I am 53 y/o and work for a major energy company developing and acquiring new projects. I have a son who is a freshman at Virgiunia Tech and a daughter who will be joining him next year as a freshman. I too am a Hokie. My hobbies includes working out, golfing and fishing. I developed a fondness for the two seater T-birds in the '70s as a friend of mine drove a restored black '57. I was planning to purchase one some day but decided on the 2002 when I first saw the concept car. I have ordered a blue/blue/full blue and am number 13 of 16 at a dealer who sold the car for msrp. No VIN yet.

raven02captn,

I don't think I have you listed in the database, please see my thread "Database Info for the New Birds - post here", thanks.

edit:

Never mind, just got to that thread.

-

This is a reply to two different posts-

yello7530-

been in your area before-about 1982-when we were tasked by the DoD to look at security at China Lake (this was just after RedCell had formed up-part of our mission statement was to simulate terrorist attacks on military installations). Too bad Red Cell isn't operating anymore-our fearful leader, Demo Dick, aka Richard Marcinko, spent two years in prison, because we were too successful. Who knows what kind of intel could have been discovered BEFORE 9/11, if Red Cell was still active?

Yellowwing-

Thanks for reminding me of the name of that foundation!! I would like to see part of the funds from the MidPoint Show n Shine go to that charity.

Wow, think of the stories that this group could exchange at a convention!

HeelBird is, as the name implies, a fan of anything connected with the University of North Carolina. 1976 alum, and have been with the same bank as a branch manager since 1979. Following the Heels and paying for the toys has kept me financially poor enough to remain single. The "fleet" includes Amadeus, Enterprise (pearl '95 SuperCoupe), BC (the black '56 Bird) and Odyssey ('65 Mustang converty). Hobbies, other than this forum and following Carolina athletics (haven't missed a home football game since 1973, nor a home basketball game since 1986) include lifting weights and working in the yard. 2nd full time job is trying to keep up with my 2 year old border collie.

It is so much fun to read the diverse bios of our members. Here's a little about me. I'm the 5 foot 2 inch blonde with blue eyes (yea, I've heard all the blonde and short jokes) with the new yellow/white with whitewalls. I've always been a motorhead but this is my first brand new car. I also have an 82 LeBaron convertible (winter car) and 90 Miata (summer autocross car). After 24 years owning my own business (board-certified bankruptcy law), I'm envious of all of you who have retired. I try to take off one week out of 4 or 5 and travel extensively for fun and work. Off to Greece for 3 weeks in May to celebrate my 20th anniversary. Lived in South Africa for a year and London for a year. My loves include: cars of course, gardening, golf, interior design, traveling, reading, crafts, and home restoration. We spent 20 years restoring our 1853 townhouse. My recurring nightmare for the last 3 years has been that Ford would file bankruptcy before my car hit the line..... Whew, dodged that bullet!! One last thing, I'm also addicted to this forum.

------------------

Guess I should have mentioned what my wife does. She works for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice (Texas Prison System). She is the Maintenance Expeditor for her unit. Basically boils down to her being the Parts & Service Manager of the prison unit she works for. She is in charge of the parts room which keeps items for maintaining everything from light bulbs to toilet parts, to back up generator parts, to kitchen equipment parts, etc. She has 37 free world people who work for her, Carpenters, Welders, Plumbers, HACV people, etc. She also has about 50 inmates who work for her in maintenance. She gererates computer repair orders for repairs needed and for all preventive maintenance done throughout the prison. She is in charge of the tool room and maintains inventories on the parts room & tool room. She carries a State credit card for emergency purchases. She has a lot of stress on her job, but with her years of service she can take early retirement in 2 1/2 years when she hits 55.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

My husband and I are both 46. We have two daughters, ages 8 and 14. I retired in 2001 after 23 as a sales rep for Abbott Laboratories, Agric. Chem division. My husband and I own a gas and oil distributorship in Yakima, WA. He sells the NASCAR racing fuel and likes to follow NASCAR racing. We collect gas and oil items, mainly Union 76 and Texaco; pedal cars, and Mobo ride on toys. We live about 20 miles from Hobobob and recently saw his collection. It is unbelievable! We also like cars and spend alot of the summer "street rodding".
I was so obsessed to get a 2002 Tbird that I ended up with two. I'm driving a yellow/yellow premium with full interior. A blue/blue premium with full interior will arrive next week. We haven't decided if we will keep the blue one or sell it. Believe it or not my 14 year old thinks the car is ugly and can't believe the attention the car gets when were on the road. We also have a '97 Viper GTS, '36 Ford pick up street rod, '47 Ford Coupe, '32 Ford Vicky with a 502 engine, '65 Mustang, 65 Buick GS Conv., and a '48 Ford planel delivery street rod that is being restored. I've enjoyed the forum; it has made the time pass while waiting for the Tbird.

yellowbird, give the son away and keep the Blue Bird.
tongue.gif

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

This board, as evidenced by this thread, is populated by some great people who share some common interests. It has been my pleasure to have met several of you who have visited the beach area, and I look forward to meeting others. Susi, my wife, and I are both 53. We have a daughter, Jenni, who is just completing her first year at the University of North Carolina. Heelbird, Jenni loves Chapel Hill and never even considered another school.
We are broadcasters with 3 radio stations in North Carolina (based in the town of Albemarle), and one in North Myrtle Beach, S. C. Each station has its own format, but our favorite is the oldies station at the beach.
Susi is a collector of Hummel figurines and I am a collector of some cars. The car inventory has been trending toward the new Thunderbirds with three of them now in the stable, one of which is a Neiman car. The others are blue and red. We also have a 64 1/2 Mustang convertible and a 65 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe. Oh yes, there is also Fred the Ford Focus. He's never seen himself and since he is surrounded by Thunderbirds, he thinks he is one also.
I have one other hobby which is genealogy. Have traced ancestors back to 1625 in England and earlier in France. The greatest find was to document my great great grandfather having married the first cousin of Robert E. Lee. I grew up with stories of General Lee and my Confederate ancestors.
One great grandfather was killed on the first day at Gettysburg while another went through 2 1/2 years of savage battles without a scratch.
Of all things, we are most interested in and passionate about our daughter and for good health (Susi won a tough fight with cancer a little while back), and for life itself. And, of course, for the opportunity to share with nice people like you who post here.

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are new to the board, and love reading all the great information! I am 28 years old and work as a Scientist at Kimberly-Clark in Neenah, WI. My wife, 27, is a hair stylist at a great salon in Appleton, WI called Chameleon. If you ever plan to be in Wisconsin, give us an e-mail we'd love to share car stories!

------------------
Black/Black/Black Acc. Prem.

I am new to the board and a new t-bird owner - YEAH!! We actually drove the car last September at the Mystery Drive in Dallas, Texas (we live outside of Houston), fell in love... but thought it best to wait for the 2nd year production run after a bad experience with the '99 Ford Cobra. HOWEVER, we drove past the dealership and saw the color combination I WOULD choose, and they worked a pretty decent deal for us.

I just turned 30, work in the legal department as the Asst Corporate Secretary of a public corporation traded on NASDAQ, and my husband (26)is a Network Admin (aka Computer Geek). He now drives a 2001 Cobra - that's "his thing" - and he is really getting a kick out of how much I LOVE this car. I've always liked Vettes, etc., but have never enjoyed driving anything the way I do this car.

We both work a lot, but enjoy our cars, deep sea fishing, and our SIX pets - three dogs and three cats. 4 of the 6 are "rescue" stories as we must have "SUCKER" stamped across our forehead. Either that, or it is as my husband said - every time I thought of children, he'd buy me another pet (to make sure I don't have the time or patience to deal with a child on top of it) :)

Based on the people I've seen driving the car and the people we saw at the Mystery Drive, I would venture to say we're among the "younger crowd" who purchase this car. You guys mentioned the "other post" where ages were listed... Where is that thread?? I'm very interested to see it!!!

I've still got a lot to learn about the car, but am LOVING getting to know it. This board is extremely helpful!! We're also considering the trip to Destin...

-

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back