Top Sealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another call to the forum. I have the fear that the convert top is going to get stained by weather or a passing goose. What is the best process to seal the top but not look coated? If the car becomes a "Bird" target, how does one clean the evidence with out streaking the top? Also, should the body be protected when the top is sealed. Thanks as always

------------------
Ford Nut
67 Mustang Fastback
97 Cobra
99 Explorer
2002 Taurus
Yellow Bird

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

wajman,this has come up before and there are a couple differant products people here have tried. For myself, I am using a product called Rag Top. They make a cleaner, haven't used that yet, and a sealer. The sealer works really well. After a good wash of the car and letting it dry I sprayed on two coats of the Rag Top sealer. This has been on for about two months now and the top still beads up everytime I wash the car and the bird dropings wash off without any trouble.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

Thanks GoBird for the Rag Top input. I thought I saw that before but the search for sealer or convertible care did not bring it up. Is this a common item found in store or a website only product? Should I tape off the car body and window or just spray?
Thanks again.

------------------
Ford Nut
67 Mustang Fastback
97 Cobra
99 Explorer
2002 Taurus
Yellow Bird

wajman, I got mine over the web but I think that it should be sold locally because I saw it on Crank & Chrome the other week. No you don't have to tape anything up. Just spray it on the top and any over spray can be wiped right off. I like this product but I know there are others out there that may be just as good.
biggrin.gif

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

I've had mine since January and daily drive it to work and park outside. I haven't used anything on the top yet and water still beads on the fabric.

------------------
Ron

VIN #7729, seq.#7505, blue premium,
partial blue interior, no top, Louisville Ky.

wajman,

I have used 303 Products HIGH TECH FABRIC GUARD. I applied it about 6 months ago and it is still beading nicely. Most of this time the hardtop has been off and the softtop has been in the FL sun. This car is a daily driver.

I would definately protect the car when applying the fabric guard. It is impossible to spray the top and not get overspray on the car. The 303 will not just wipe off, I found I had to use mineral spirits to get it off.

Here is a link to their site: 303 Products

BTW, I don't have you listed in the database, please see my thread "Database Info for the New Birds - post here Update 1", thanks.

RTBRD

Gobird and wajman--
I think the product you are talking about may actually be named "Raggtopp." (If not, my apologies, but Raggtopp works great, too!) Like Gobird, I bought it online. I can't remember where, exactly, but a Google search produced this site, and the price is about what I paid:
http://www.shadetreeonline.com/raggtopp/raggtopp.htm

I used it on a 5 1/2 year old Chrysler Sebring top that was badly worn and had to be replaced anyway--but boy did that old top repel water after using the Raggtopp. It looked much better, too. Unfortunately the binding was coming off, and Raggtopp couldn't do anything for that.

Although overspray did not harm the Sebring's finish, it left a slight residue that took a couple fo washings to get off. I'm going to try to minimize overspray next time.

BTW, there are many interesting automotive product catalogs (not links--the complete catalogs, page by page, in .jpg images) at http://www.catalogs.google.com/
Just click on "Automotive" and prepare to be amazed. (Or maybe everyone but me already knows about this.)

-

Thanks for your help on the top sealer. I have contacted a local supplier of the product through the Raggtopp website. It has a locator on the site. The site is http://www.wolfsteins.com/raggtopp/
A it turns out, the dealer is just up the road from me in Chicago. Time to seal the Bird.

------------------
Ford Nut
67 Mustang Fastback
97 Cobra
99 Explorer
2002 Taurus
Yellow Bird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back