T-bird 56 , electronic Ignition recommendations

P

peter dantzer

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Electronic Ignition recommendations
Have just switched breaker points and capacitor in my 56 thunderbird.
But they keep sparking and after some time they get burn marks and the car starts to have a hard time starting when it is cold.

I am therefore considering replacing breaker points with an electronic ignition - is that a good idea and what can be recommended? My distributor is a dual vacuum advance distributor - if that matters.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Electronic Ignition recommendations
Have just switched breaker points and capacitor in my 56 thunderbird.
But they keep sparking and after some time they get burn marks and the car starts to have a hard time starting when it is cold.

I am therefore considering replacing breaker points with an electronic ignition - is that a good idea and what can be recommended? My distributor is a dual vacuum advance distributor - if that matters.
Pertronix electronic ignition. Easy install and more reliable than points

This assumes that you did not have this problem of sparking prior to your change of parts. If installed correctly and no other changes you should not have the problem now. I suggest you check your work first. If you have some other problem, changing to electronic ignition will probably not correct your problem. I have Pertronix on several cars including my 57 Bird. I have had to replace the Pertronix once in about 20 years. I am quite happy with their products.

Did you check your coil resistor? It's supposed to drop the voltage / amps to the points to keep them from burning.

Another strong recommendation for Petronix electronic conversion.
also install their hi output coil.
whole project less than an hour.
you’ll never regret it.

Resistor is about 2 ohm - i suppose thats is ok,
I just checked the shop manual and the primary circuit resistance should be between 1.30-1.40ohms @ 75 Degrees. That is if it's hooked up properly on the right terminal on the coil or at the ignition switch. The resistor is by-passed on starting and then the power is run through it in the run position.

would your recommend the pentrix over the Holly kit or others?

In my experience the Pertronix is the only way to go. I have one in my '62, and a 70 F600, and a 76 L900. Totally trouble free.

Back