Steering wheel controls have gone wacky!

Status
Not open for further replies.
steering wheel

My steering wheel controls went out twice but both times it was under warr. It had a mind of it's own. I have a 2005 cashmere with 15,000 miles. These cars have alot of bugs in them. But there pretty.....tbirdt

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Tony, just curious as to what the fix was for your controls, based upon what the work order said the fix was.
This is the type of info (issue, fix and part number/description of parts) that may help others at a later date -Our cars are getting older and out of warranty, so this info could help some that may be "do-it-yourself'ers"

My steering wheel has started to make a faint squeeking sound when I turn it. If the radio is off you can hear it. My dealer said it won't hurt anything if I leave it that way. if I get tired of hearing it they can replace something. I think it was something like a dry seal, not sure, but whatever it was it wasn't cheap. I have 18,000 miles on my 2003.

Anyone else hearing this noise?

I hear a sqeaking noise everytime I turn the wheel and they tell me its nothing, also,,,though I'm losing faith in my local Ford dealership. They only had one new Tbird in all 4 years. No one here knows anything about them

Thelma04:
Open up page one of this thread and go to post #14. I had posted there a Ford Tech Service Bulletin, TSB 04-10-1, related to steering squeeks on 2003 & 2004 TBirds. Print that and take it to your dealer, who should have looked it up to begin with.

By the way, if you are unhappy with your Ford dealer and there is a Lincoln dealer close by, your entire drive train on the TBird is Lincoln LS. So the Lincoln dealer should be more familiar with that portion of the car.

Thelma04:
Open up page one of this thread and go to post #14. I had posted there a Ford Tech Service Bulletin, TSB 04-10-1, related to steering squeeks on 2003 & 2004 TBirds. Print that and take it to your dealer, who should have looked it up to begin with.

By the way, if you are unhappy with your Ford dealer and there is a Lincoln dealer close by, your entire drive train on the TBird is Lincoln LS. So the Lincoln dealer should be more familiar with that portion of the car.:cool:

Did a little more research and here's what I found:

A guy says, "I developed the dreaded steering wheel squeak in my '04. I cited TSB 04-10-01 to the dealer. Appears this TSB has been superseded by an 06 TSB which calls for tearing down the rack and pinion steering and replacing seals ... at a cost of $900"

And here's another that had that new TSB, "I got my 04 back from the dealer and they did the replacement of the fluids. So far it has eliminated the dreaded growl from the system. But, the work order states they followed TBS 06-05-16 and the Warranty covered it. I was very happy with the service they provided."

Sorry I do not have a copy of the new TSB, but all dealers should have them on their computer, so just give them the number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back