Seat Belt Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else notice that the seat belts tighten up while driving? I know they should tighten at bit when you deaccelerate or brake, but should loosen when cruising, mine seem to tighten as I drive. Any ideas?

YLO BRD

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My wife has the same problem, whether in the drivers seat or passenger seat. I however, do not have that problem in either seat.

Actually they don't tighten but lock. She has to release the buckle to get them to unlock. She had the same problem in the '00 Stang.

-

I know the seat belts in my Mustang and my wife's Taurus work this way so the T-Birds may too.

If you put them on WITHOUT pulling them all the way out they act normally. If, however, you pull them all the way and then buckle them, they will start tightening up immediately.

Check that out

Originally posted by RTBRD:
My wife has the same problem, whether in the drivers seat or passenger seat. I however, do not have that problem in either seat.

Actually they don't tighten but lock. She has to release the buckle to get them to unlock. She had the same problem in the '00 Stang.

-

Whoops,

I have noticed the shoulder strap locking which prevents me from making comfortable head checks. I pull out on it to unlock it and then it seems okay. Just the same, I'm going to have the dealer check it out when they do the recall service.

RETROT I hate to say it but I think that this is normal. I had the same thing happen on my 95 LX, and a few Birds before that, this is also the way my 97 F150 works. One of those things you just have to live with.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

This is described in the manual. Sez you can set the belt tension lock by pulling out the belt all the way. This is supposed to happen only on the passenger belt. Used to lock a child seat in place etc.
Bmcn

My belt was very tight on my shoulder Went to Discount Auto parts & bought a shoulder belt wrap (very soft) It seems to work just fine. Just an idea I picked up from my sister. She has one in her van (works great)The wrap is less than a foot long & the cost is in the five buck area.

------------------
Jim

The passenger seat belt is made for child safety seats and has to lock for those seats. If you pull the belt all the way out and then buckle it you have activated the child safety system. Unlocking it deactivates the system.

Originally posted by PaulH:
The passenger seat belt is made for child safety seats and has to lock for those seats.

Can the airbag be turned off on the passengers side?

Not to be smart, but from a man who knows more about Ford Motor Company than half of us and has been salesman of the month, how can he not know that a vehicle with no rear seats, must have a passenger side air bag shutoff switch such as in pickups.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Originally posted by LON O'CONNELL:
Not to be smart,

I did know, just trying to get some conversing going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back