Replaced Throttle Body

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright. As I was leaving work Friday evening, just as I was pulling out onto the street, the car just seemed to die (it was moving very slowly). I turned the car off, started it back up. Nothing. It would still move slowly. Got it off the road and had the car towed to the dealership. No warning lights came on.
They had to replace the throttle body. Right at $600

2002 with just over 50k. I don't have extended warranty.
Question. Would anyone know if something like this is covered under a
power train warranty, etc???

Prior to this on a few occasions. When the car is stopped, and I try to accelerate quickly, the car would seem to like lock up, then go.
I had mentioned this to the service guy a few times too.
Speaking with my father about the this whole situation, he seemed to think it might have been a sign it was going bad.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Alright. As I was leaving work Friday evening, just as I was pulling out onto the street, the car just seemed to die (it was moving very slowly). I turned the car off, started it back up. Nothing. It would still move slowly. Got it off the road and had the car towed to the dealership. No warning lights came on.
They had to replace the throttle body. Right at $600

2002 with just over 50k. I don't have extended warranty.
Question. Would anyone know if something like this is covered under a
power train warranty, etc???

Prior to this on a few occasions. When the car is stopped, and I try to accelerate quickly, the car would seem to like lock up, then go.
I had mentioned this to the service guy a few times too.
Speaking with my father about the this whole situation, he seemed to think it might have been a sign it was going bad.

I would call one or two other service MANAGERS at other dealers (Ford, GM, Chrysler). Ask them if their intake manifolds and/or intake manifold gaskets are covered under their basic warranty. We might all learn something.

Throttle position sensor is a small sensor.

Throttle body is top of engine, with appearance of pipes running from left side to right side (or vice versa). Those pipes allow air and fuel into all the engine cylinders. Commonly referred to as "manifold."

When General Motors came out with the yellow anti-freeze (10+ years ago), they had problems with the yellow anti-freeze eating up the manifold gaskets. If car owners did not address the problem immediately, engines froze up. (Water is non-compressable.) Also, people who mixed the green and yellow anti-freeze experienced manifold gasket leaks. In the past 5 years or so, GM has changed the yellow formula so that the problem is not as prevalent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back