Status
Not open for further replies.
tbird

tbird

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Before I moved, I left the mail server on open relay by accident and AOL banned us from it's mail server, so when I was emailing people about new memberships they all bounced back, now the problem is resolved, and hopefully I can get the emails sent back out.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

An open relay mail server is a mail server that anyone can send mail through. This includes Spammers. One of the reasons that it is so hard to get rid of spam is that the spammers do not use their servers to send the spam. They use someone else's server (on open relay) to send it. This way they do not have to use up all of their bandwidth and it makes it very difficult to block the Spam. One way an ISP such as AOL can block spam is to look for an open relay mail server and then block any and all email from that server. Once you can prove to the ISP that you are no loger an open relay they will take you off their block list. Tbird I would recommend going to dbsl.org and checking if you have been blcokoed there. They also have links to other companies that may have blocked your server. Most of the time once you are on their list, the only way to get off is to ask.

Originally posted by icrovop:
Tbird I would recommend going to dbsl.org and checking if you have been blcokoed there. They also have links to other companies that may have blocked your server. Most of the time once you are on their list, the only way to get off is to ask.

I already did that before I posted. We were off the list already when I started the thread. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back