Performance Gadgets.. do they work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked this question about a week ago, but I don't know if I hit the save button and I don't remember seeing a response.

I've seen tons of gadgets that claim to increase horsepower and gas milage. One in particular I saw about a week ago was called the Tornada and it claimed to add 5-20 HP and up to 20% gas savings. It's a simple hoop that goes into the air intake and it requires no power or maintenence. The principal is that it spins the air like a tornado and improves air flow.

Another company makes a magnetic thingie that surrounds the fuel line that they claim helps align the molecules in the gas (assuming properly aligned gas molecules are more efficient).

The bottom line... do these types of things work? If not, what does?

------------------
Joe
TBIRD II - My License Plate

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

TBird II,

I don't know about the items you mention. They seem like snake oil claims to me.
What does work and Ford has even gone so far as sell them at the parts counters, is the KN air filters or filtercharger kits. They add up to 5 HP to the vehicle, the filter lasts a lifetime and allows better air flow.

The second thing to do is get a cat back exhaust system. The original mufflers allow about 30-40% air flow and the cat backs will boost it to 95%. The combination of the above will give most 20-25 HP increase with NO harm to the engine or more important the warranty.

You have a NM Bird, I plan on the KN filter and probably will get the cat back too. Just keep all the original pipes and mufflers for the next owner of the NM Bird. I have already put aftermarket tire/wheels to save the NM 21 spoke chromes for shows, the sound of the exhaust is a weak point, and if you get a performance boost, it is worth the occasional sneer by the purist judging your car. Pictures of new wheels are at http://photos.groups.*********/group/newtbirddata/lst

look at new rides then click on Neiman W...

------------------
'56 TBird '02 NM Bird
'98 F250 4X4 SCab
'68 AMC AMX
'73 Volvo 1800ES
'01 Olds Aurora 4.0

-

biggrin.gif
FDCAPTAIN, Yes the K&N air filters DO increase HP. Don't know by how much but made a very big differance in my jet skies last summer. I got about 5 mph more out of them after I put them on. Also put one on my F-150 but don't get on that truck too much so I can't say on that one. As for the skies, 5 mph is a lot on the water. I went from about 54 to 55 mph to around 60 mph. That's moving on the water.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

-

rolleyes.gif
Just called K&N and as of now they don't make an air filrer for the new Birds. They said check back in April and check their web site.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

GOBIRD

I put the KN on my truck and didn't notice much either. Then I put a Gibson cat back supertruck NASCAR like side exhaust on and oh what a feeling ,the torque and HP did improve a lot!

I get compliments on the sound and no other truck has the sharp side exhaust (in front of the right rear wheel).

The most effort in going to cat backs on a Neiman or any new TBird, will be in duplication of the chrome tips under the rear bumper. I want mine to look stock standing still, but vavarummble when running!
I want to hear the V8 as of now no one can tell V6 or V8.

------------------
'56 TBird '02 NM Bird
'98 F250 4X4 SCab
'68 AMC AMX
'73 Volvo 1800ES
'01 Olds Aurora 4.0

FD,

Mine sorta reminds me of a police car whoosh, no burble at all.

The wife took the car last night and I asked her to stomp it so I could listen, hoping that 6K miles would have had some effect on the sound, no luck.
frown.gif

Guess I have just been spoiled by the wonderful sounds that were emitted by my Mustang GTs.

Just checked the Borla site and they still don't list the '02 Bird.

-

I have a Mustang Cobra that sounds really good with no mufflers at all on it.

A muffler shop in Houston made an xpipe configuration that hangs off the cats and goes straight to the back of the car.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not this would cause any damage to the t-bird? Since the mufflers are right at the back of the car, seems to me it would be easy to make straight pipes a reality.

Opinions???

------------------
'02 Yellow T-Bird
'95 Roush GT Ragtop
'96 Mystic Cobra
'97 Lincoln Mark VIII

-

freebird, I posted on another thread already.

I stated I am not an engineer, and I don't know if the lack of mufflers will harm the engine or not.

I like the harmonized sounds from the good cat back companies. Borla, Gibson, KN and many others will surely make systems for the new Birds.

We will have to manage the wait with the wimpy sounds of a great FORD V8.

------------------
'56 TBird '02 NM Bird
'98 F250 4X4 SCab
'68 AMC AMX
'73 Volvo 1800ES
'01 Olds Aurora 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back