Not open for further replies.
tbird

tbird

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Segway Human Transporter

Has anyone heard of this thing? 5 grand and people are buying them up like crazy!
segway.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The inventor and manufacturer resides just over our border in NH. Over the past 1-2 years they have been loaning these, on a trial basis, out to Postal and Police. They have had excellant reviews.
The postal carriers on walking routes and Police inside towns/villages. All reports are positive and for many very cost effective.
On the other side of the coin, it's kind of sad, since it appears that people in this country seem to be getting heavier etc. from the lack of excersise.

Originally posted by George:
On the other side of the coin, it's kind of sad, since it appears that people in this country seem to be getting heavier etc. from the lack of excersise.

My wife and I were just discussing that!

There is another big problem with this, notice in the demo video nobody is wearing a helmet, and obviously if you are riding around on one of these on the street, you should have something protecting your head.

2 points:

I believe I read that the weight limit on a Segway is 250 lbs. It's not like a Segway is a viable alternative for someone who is morbidly obese.

Also, enough with helmets already. Pretty soon activists are going to require that we wear helmets just to take a walk. I can see their use on a motorcycle. But on a Segway or even a regular bike? Come on.

Originally posted by 02 TBRD:
2 points:
Also, enough with helmets already. Pretty soon activists are going to require that we wear helmets just to take a walk. I can see their use on a motorcycle. But on a Segway or even a regular bike? Come on.

Well, we now know that you don't work in an emergency room and you are not an attorney! If you are riding one of these things down the road and you get hit by a car, you will most likely die from Head trauma before many other things. If you suffer a head trauma and were not told my the manufacturer that a helmet is a good idea, you can sue them.

-

02TBRD I guess you haven't read about the hundreds of children that receive brain injuries while riding their bikes without a helmet, or the thousands that are lucky enough to be wearing a helmet. I suspect you don't bother with a seat belt eather.

I really wish that people would start taking responsibility for their own actions in this country and stop worrying about who they can sue all the time. If I decide to ride a bike or a Segway without a helmet and something happens, that's a decision I made and I will have to deal with the consequences. It's interesting that the first response to my comment had something to do with a lawsuit. I think it's a sad commentary on the current state of affairs in this country.

Regarding the seatbelt issue--I wear my seatbelt all the time. I assure you, though, that it's because I want to--not because someone is making me. If I didn't want to, I wouldn't wear the belt--and I would have to deal with the consequences of my decision.

Thank you for listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back