On order

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple questions from a newbie.

I have ordered my thunderbird (blue) about 3 months ago. My dealer told me it should be here in July or early August at he latest.

I just recieved a message from him now telling me it hasn't even been started to be built yet and it will be here late Aug-Sept.
This stinks! Any advice on how I could maybe get the price down becuase of the "false" info he gave me.

Also is there anything I should look out for or ask the dealer about. From reading the other posts it doesn't seem like the dealers know a whole lot about these cars. Just want to make sure I cover all the bases.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I won't comment on your price negotiations. That is too market-dependent IMO.

Assuming you are getting the Premium and not the Deluxe, you want to be sure to get the "clear strips" that are used to protect the rear deck from scratches that can be caused by the hardtop vibrating against the deck. Also, give some thought to the partial versus the full color interior. Most T-bird owners seem to have ordered the full color -- I have the partial and I'm glad I ordered mine that way. (My T-bird is also Thunderbird Blue). At this point in time, it's possible that it's too late to change the interior color option, so if you want to change it I would suggest contacting your dealer immediately.

At delivery time, be sure to check the tire pressure and to check the vehicle for any obvious manufacturing flaws. On this forum you will see various "complaints" but most of them are either design (a locking gas cap is not standard, believe it or not) or non-obvious/non-visual (for example, some folks have reported a squeaking sound coming from the dash). I got my vehicle on June 6th and I've been unable to find anything beyond extremely minor production flaws.

One other thing about delivery -- make sure you bring your favorite CD with you so you can ride home in complete and utter glory :)

You'll definitely want to check the "accessories" section of this forum and consider some of the stuff available there.

As reported elsewhere on this forum, production ends in August -- so it would be cool if you got T-bird #25000. We look forward to your full status report when you bring your T-bird home. Good luck and enjoy!

jgaffney, welcome to the "waiting" club. Many of us have waited 15+ months so you're just starting. If you cannot get a serial number by August you may be in for a 2003. I believe that I read on another thread, on this site, that production stops in Sept. So if you figure 4 weeks from serial number to dealer door that puts August as the end of 2002's

Not good news to here. I just checked with my dealer and he told me It would be built in Aug and I would have it by the end of Aug. "for sure" he says. Seems fishy to me.
Although I did find two other dealers with the vehichle I want in stock! Maybe I will backout out of the order and pick one up now.
I would hate to back out but I don't think they will have a problem selling it and I can't stand to wait any longer.

Very often dealers charge $3000 and up over sticker price, so be sure you have a deal before you cancel the first order. Or else you could end up with zip

If you are paying over sticker than look around. Some dealers are willing to move on these units. It is not legal for them to keep deposits, at least not in the state of Michigan or Ohio.

Got an offer from one dealer, said if I move now I can have it for sticker. Only difference is it has the full color package and the one I ordered has the partial.
Tough decision I guess... I will have to check it out in person as I have not seen the full color live yet. The only problem is it's 2 hours away.

For reasons not worth going into, I completely agree with George. Be very certain about your deal. Get things in writing from an authorized dealership manager.

I remarked earlier about the partial versus full color. You will make your own decision, of course, but if it were me, I don't think I'd get the full color unless I had absolutely no other options. Yes, the model year is beginning to wind down, but if you're willing to go 2 hours you have lots of choices still. If you get T-bird blue with partial you will have the same vehicle as me!

Once again, good luck. I waited 16 months for my T-bird and it was worth every minute.

im20agn, I would suggest that price negotiations is very location dependent. I think it's an over-simplification to say "don't pay more than MSRP", not to mention an extended warranty which can run into the $thousands depending on length of warranty, etc. If you took that negotiation position in my area (Washington DC) you might succeed, but you might have to go to many, many dealerships and spend half your life negotiating. Just a thought. I was very successful in my own negotiations but a lot of that had to do with placing my order 16 months in advance (like a lot of other people did, I know).

jgaffney, I hope you get a good deal -- even a great deal -- but location does matter. I wish you the best of luck. Now that the T-bird has been out for many months, at least you won't face the extreme dealer add-ons from late 2001. No matter what you pay, you will love your T-bird so go for it.

Originally posted by thaser:

I agree, the United States is a large place with well over 2,000 Ford dealers. Also there are all kinds of different warranties, some are powertrain some cover almost everything. Regardless, you are paying for the warranty, because the wholesale value of the warranty comes out of the dealers pocket which could have actually came off the price of the car instead.

I think they would blow you off the lot here in East Tennessee if you even mentioned MSRP.

We have 2002 Thunderbirds in stock, and more on the way, that we will sell at MSRP and we will pay the freight to your location. We have shipped several Thunderbirds from California to various locations in the U.S.

Call me if you are interested or send me an email @ clebus@*************.

Chris LeBus
626-827-8891

Don't forget if you get a California bird it's going to have California emmissions.

Or, if as was my case, you're from California but buy a 'Bird out of state, you have to make sure that CA emissions are included on the car. Otherwise, California sends you right back out!

All 2002 Tbirds meet California emmissions for 2002. This was discussed some time ago (this year) on this forum.

HKS

Originally posted by tbird:
Don't forget if you get a California bird it's going to have California emmissions.

All 2002 Tbirds have California mandated emission.
Originally posted by tbird:

sorry to repeat HKS's info I didn't scroll far enough.

------------------
Jim Williams
red/red/std blk premium #2 of 2 VIN 1FAHP60A62Y111592
Mass. tag JWBIRD

-

I just wanted to make sure for those folks out of California that normall buy a non-California emmission car, because surely there are pros and cons.

HKS:

I've also heard that the Thunderbird has a 50-state engine. Nevertheless, I HADd to order the no-charge California emissions option (#422) on my out-of-state T-Bird. Believe me, I've been through the process. I also had to show the CA emissions certification at the DMV when I registered my car here.

-- Paula

Out with old in with the new.
Got out of my old deal with the deposit back. Pick up my brand new blue bird on Wed. $500.00 UNDER MSRP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back