Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Jeff, do you park it during the winter or drive it a little all year? You've had it two full summers?

If I were to bet I'd say the NMs are going to be the long term investor favorite retro-Thunderbird. The nearest car in scarcity is the 007 with over three times the number produced. The NM exclusive chrome hood bezel and wheels are favorite items to put on many other birds. So far only 200 NM cars have the chrome bezel originally installed and only 900 originally equipped cars had the chrome 21 spoke chrome wheels.

New Owner

I bought my 2002 Black Bird just over 2 weeks ago, and it had just over 29,000 miles on it then. I've managed to add another 1,000 miles in the past 2 weeks showing it off to friends and family.

My car is a daily driver, though my commute is less than 5 miles and she's garaged at both ends.

Thanks for the warm welcome from the gang here, and especially for the help from QuickDraw on researching some of the background on my car.

Jack / 2002 SR-71

nearly two years and just 11,500 miles

I drive my yellow '02 daily to work and it is garaged at both ends...just 11,500 miles in two years. I can't wait for the next 2 years of fun in the sun. I also have a '65 convertible with just 55,000 original, that one only sees sunlight during the warm months.

buy 'em to drive 'em...

Flair

Well sadly, I watched my odometer turn over to the 18,000 mile mark this past weekend. I drove my car from Atlanta, Ga., down to Biloxi, MS., and of course being so close to New Orleans, La., I had to put that additional mileage on too! My Thunderbird performed exceptionally well on the highway, and I found it very difficult to keep the speed down. The car just drives so smooth, that I don't realize the speedometer creeping up, until I look down at it and see that I am going well over 100 mph. The slot machines in both Mississippi and Louisianna also performed exceptionally well! So well that I came home and went straight to a satelite radio dealer and now my little blue bird plays Serius radio music. By the way. I had the radio head installed on a bracket that was placed in the cup holder, closest to the gear shifter, so that if it is ever removed, all I have to do is place the little circular rubber mat back in the cup holder to hide the holes drilled there to hold the bracket. (no one will ever know!)
The car is just too fun! :D

Julie

P.S. Harry, get that car out and drive it! :D

Julie,
I would love to be driving mine however it is snowing here today - maybe in another month. I was tempted to put a guilt trip on you for wearing out the car before your grandchild even gets here but that would be cruel.... In two more years your granddaughter (?) will be referring to your car as “hers”.... At about 18 months old my granddaughter began calling mine “Maddies car” and she would drag me to the garage every time she was here so she could sit in it. The Bird is in my MIL’s garage now and the granddaughter isn’t at all interested in sitting in any other car. She is going to be ecstatic to see the Bird again this spring

Congratulations on the winnings and the radio! Thats a great idea to bring the wires through the cup holder so the holes can easily be covered later!

Harry,
"Mil's" garage...what is that? Let me know soon, so I can buy one (Hee! Hee!), so that I can hide my car in it, before my granddaughter sees it! I will pray for you Harry, that you will be transferred soon to a warmer climate (perhaps Georgia??), so you can drive that Bird of yours year round. I just returned from taking my little Lady Bird out for a short spin, and thought of you Harry, and that lonesome garaged car of yours, as I had my petal to the metal! :cool: (grinning a mile wide!)

Julie :D

MIL=Mother-in-Law...

Georgia, Florida, California, Arizona the warm weather doesn’t matter as much as being near the family… Is your granddaughter-to-be in Georgia? Grandkids are so great for up to three hours at a time. <grin>

P.S. And about driving & enjoying the bird… a little abstinence on your part might enhance the thrill of driving even more. :p :D

Last edited:
Oh Lord..I don't want to be any closer to my mother in laws garage (or her for that matter! :) ). Unfortunately, my grandbaby will be in California. Much too far away! And as far as practicing a little restraint in driving my car.......forget that one! I'ts not going to happen! I'm still grinning!

Julie :D

Yesterday was a beautiful day here in NJ - 60 degrees and sunshine, so little red was out.

However, today I took the '95 to work because they were predicting a snowstorm. About 1/2 hour after I arrived the snow started and is still coming down, so the '02 will stay in the garage for a while again.

Hope it melts soon.

Susan, 60 degrees to snow? Bummer... Chicago got the snow, how did the 60 degrees get past us?

Julie,
"And as far as practicing a little restraint in driving my car.......forget that one! I'ts not going to happen! I'm still grinning!

“Absence makes the heart grow fonder.” You may beat me in quantity of grins but the quality and intensity of MY first driving grin of the year will be something to behold. :p :p :D :p :p

Ya just gotta hate that kind of weather! That's why I left Ohio for the sunshine state a long time ago. Now if it's cloudy I have some reservations about taking "Kandi" my red T-Bird out of her garage. The reservations don't last long though. She was made to drive.....and drive.....and drive!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back