How to remove this Sirius antenna?

JW in Dixie

JW in Dixie

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
From the trunk deck of my Bird without damaging or staining the paint? It is stuck with a strong adhesive. No longer use it.
upload_2017-12-1_15-19-23.jpeg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Use a heat gun, not a hair dryer, and a plastic putty knife. Heat around the edges with high heat and pry up, repeat and repeat until it can be popped off. Clean the area with a citrus cleaner like Goo Gone and then if needed, buff the area with something like Meguiar’s ScratchX 2.0

Looks like the main body will be easy, but the tail is partly loose and a black adhesive is holding it. Just have to hope that Goo Gone will safely dissolve the adhesive. Will give it a go tomorrow. Thanks, all.

Got the device off but the adhesive remains. I think it is urethane windshield sealant. Have tried Goo Gone, LA Awesome, gasoline, WD40, Go Jo, none touch it. Googled - a Dow solvent was mentioned but not the specific one. Heat and finger nail works a little but is very slow. Maybe more heat but I don't want to damage the finish. Maybe a glass shop? Ideas?
upload_2017-12-1_18-12-28.jpeg

Finally got it with Goof Off and a lot of elbow grease. Tip - don't allow the removed debris to land on any surface 'cause it will stick as tight as the original. I used a plastic tool to get the thick stuff but it took a cloth soaked in Goof Off and lots of rubbing to get the rest. Move to a fresh spot on the cloth frequently. Took about 30 mins. Thanks for the tips, one of which was to try Goof Off Cheers

Finally got it with Goof Off and a lot of elbow grease. Tip - don't allow the removed debris to land on any surface 'cause it will stick as tight as the original. I used a plastic tool to get the thick stuff but it took a cloth soaked in G-O and lots of rubbing to get the rest. Move to a fresh spot on the cloth frequently. Took about 30 mins. Thanks for the tips, one of which was to try G-O. Cheers

Wow, they wanted to make sure that thing stayed on didn't that? :) Glad you were able to get it off!

From the trunk deck of my Bird without damaging or staining the paint? It is stuck with a strong adhesive. No longer use it.
View attachment 1335
Try dental floss, get the heavy gauge one and run it under the antenna mount. They usually use 3m adhesive tape. Once you remove it you can clean any residue off with Goo Gone.

This one was stuck on with unremovium! See above how I got it off. Cheers

Back