Got the beginning of a hankering going on for.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last seen
What's it like to own a SquareBird? Not just to sit and look at, but to own and drive and use. Things to know....what to look for?..downsides? and what is the name of that salmon/coral colour?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

In '59 it was called "GERANIUM". I have a Sunliner that color.

Originally posted by 00mustng:
What's it like to own a SquareBird? Not just to sit and look at, but to own and drive and use. Things to know....what to look for?..downsides? and what is the name of that salmon/coral colour?

Well, 00mustng, I've owned my 1960 Hardtop since about 1976. It replaced my '64 Galaxie sedan and was my daily driver until 1991 or so. Drove it from CA to TN & VA while in the Navy, and bought a '62 in VA to share the load for a while. There isn't really anything like the thrill of looking out over the huge steering wheel at the ornaments on the fender tops and imagining them to be gunsights!
Drawbacks include:
Knocking your knees on the dogleg created by the wrap-around windshield when entering or exiting;
Wallowing around corners like a boat;
Waiting for the vaccuum-tube radio to warm up and play thru the tiny speaker in the console;
Having to start the engine to run the vaccuum windshield wipers at the drive-in movie;
Hunting around with the sloppy gear-shift selector trying to find gear (automatic), using the parking brake & neutral & sometimes a wheel chock to park and ensure the trans doesn't slip out of Park into Reverse;
Electrical problems - generator/regulator/starter;
Rocker panel rust.
Advantages/thrills include:
Looks and comments you receive when driving it, or towing it across country behind a '62 Bird (which I did in 1980!);
Infinitely variable windshield wipers in 1950's and 60 (advantage - vaccuum);
Many electrical & other parts common to contemporary Ford FE block engines - easy to carry spare generator/regulator/fan belts + tools in the trunk;
Spiffy-looking console (one of the industry's first), made to cover driveshaft with lower seating & stance. Includes said radio speaker and power window switches for easy access by all 4 passengers;
Engine bay has room to walk around in (almost) - easy to work on. I can unbolt and lift off the hood by myself for better access. Front-hinging hood;
Convertible tops that disappear completely into the trunk (not on my hardtop, though);
Just staring at those lines & curves!

To be honest, there is a world of difference even between my '60 and the next generation in '61. Transmission, suspension, etc. are so much tighter and feel more secure. Transistor radio & electric wipers are more dependable, etc. When I bought a used '78 in 1991 and then my new '92 in 1992, I tried to drive the '60 once in a while just to keep it in driveable shape, but getting used to the A/C, cruise control, quite ride, etc. has made it hard, and the baby has been sitting for too long in the garage.

Hope this has given you some idea of what it's like. For years I didn't really know any better and loved the car. Now I've had other vehicles to reference. They are different and have their own qualities, but there ain't nothing like a Squarebird!! I still love it.

------------------
Dennis Grant
1960 HT 208K
1992 Sport 247K

-

Hi Dennis.....Thanks so much for your reply. Very interesting. You are definately a T-Bird guy, I'm thinking! Are you in a club? We're in the Calgary Thunderbird Club and the International Thunderbird Club. Why the SquareBird appeals to me is the architecture and the simplicity of the mechanical execution. Adaptation to the lack of new technology is a given. But...as you say, each model has it's own personality. Being fascinated by shape,I find the BulletBird also appealing. Of course the BabyBirds will always draw a crowd as interestingly enough, does the NewBird.......I could go on! Cheers! Martin

Hi Martin,

You're welcome! Yes, I consider myself a T-Bird guy, and am in 3 clubs: ITC, recently rejoined ****, and Northern California ************************ of America. I recently cruised part of Route 66 with Thunder on 66 (in my '92) and then stayed in So. California for the **** International Convention & Show - what a great week! People, history & cars made it unforgettable.

I remember buying my first '60 for $250, and driving it home about 20 miles on back roads, with no battery (you can do that with a generator, but not an alternator) and shaky brakes. It was maroon, in drivable but otherwise pretty sad shape, and I started gutting the interior, but never did get to fix it up. I soon found my current Wimbleton White over Beechwood Brown in the town I lived in, bought it for around $450, I believe, then proceeded to strip what parts & emblems I could from the maroon one and have it towed to the the "yard". I've had this one repainted a Sand Imron around 1980, but would never do Imron again (if it is still around). The paint is hard & chemical-resistant, I suppose, but brittle. It chips very easily on the sharp lines & points of a Squarebird, and usually takes the paint & primer off together. When I had wide whitewall tires on it, it really looked sharp with the white top! Now I have radials on it and it handles a little better. Someday I'd like to get the best of both worlds and get wide white radials, maybe something from Coker Tires.
Anyway, hope you can feed your hankering one of these days. Do you have a Thunderbird now? Have a great day!
Dennis

------------------
Dennis Grant
1960 HT 208K
1992 Sport 247K

Yes we do Dennis. Got involved with Thunderbirds quite by happenstance, just over a year ago when we answered an ad in the paper for an 81 Heritage with 179mi on her. It had been properly stored and was as new...had to have this time capsule. So, today, it now has 11500mi. and is still original condition,including the tires,except for a new thermostat,heater core,radiator, upper rad. hose and head gasket, a season of show&shines,club involvement,and a particularly memorable attempt to reach the I.T.C. Convention at Watkins Glen (see last three replacement items) We feel we were chosen to be the keeper of this BoxBird as it is a missing link in the chain, as nobody kept them. Best In Class ain't much fun when your car is the only one. It is probably unique by virtue of it's condition though so we will remain her caretakers.......Cheers! Martin.

I can't comment much about driving a 1960, but I CAN comment on my 1964. On one hand I can say that the car is ahead of its time. When I got it, my regular driver was a 1994 Bird, and I was amazed at how similar they were to drive. Going down the road, I forget that I'm driving an antique car until people tap their horns and give me a thumbs-up. On the other hand, and this is a bit scary, there are so many components on this car that are intertwined, that it seems like I have to get the entire car totally rebuilt before any of it performs properly. Everything depends on everything else. Only recently has this car really gone from rat rod to luxury car, after totally rebuilding the brakes, steering, front suspension, rear axle, universals, wheels, tires, shocks, springs, and basically the entire bottom half of the car. I'm a bit frustrated that I've spent many thousands on the car and it still hasn't received much of a cosmetic upgrade. But then I've seen a lot of trophy-winning cars requiring a tow truck to get home. I bet there are a lot of cosmetic-only Thunderbirds out there. Remember these cars are very expensive to restore, and not worth much when finished, so I bet a lot of owners let them go mechanically. But a Thunderbird in A-1 mechanical condition is a really nice car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back