Front License Plate Mounting Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've spent way too much time wondering about this problem but I think I've developed a no-drill solution to mounting the front license plate. Caution - it's not been through rigorous windtunnel testing.

The parts list is simple. I purchased a heavy plate frame from the Ford website, 2 stainless nylon insert lock washers, 2 stainless 1/4" x 1/2" round head slotted machine bolts, 4 3/8" long (1/4" ID) nylon spacers, 2 3/16" x 3" togglebolts, and some 1/2" adhesive backed insulation. All this stuff is available at your local hardware store. I chose stainless steel because of it's low maintenance but you could choose zinc-plated as well.

You can probably guess the steps:
mount the plate to cover with the nylon lock washers and 1/4" bolts.
Once secured, use the adhesive backed insulation to rim the back of the license plate. Complete coverage is probably not necessary as only the top 1/3 of the plate will come in contact with the grill.
Line the inside of the toggle bolt with the same adhesive backed insulation tape. This will allow the toggle bolt to snug up to the back of the grill when tightened.
Thread the bolt, nylon spacers, license plate, frame, and the toggle together.
The nylon spacers will prevent the bolt from directly contacting the grill.

Fit onto the grill at desired location and tighten toggle bolts. Be sure to rotate the toggle to vertical position so that it can't pop out of the grill. You'll find the insulation will provide a spring-like action to help hold the plate securely against the grill.

When finished, the only components to come in contact with the grill is the foam insulation and nylon spacers.

There's probably another way to do this - but this seems like a good no-drill solution - I'll provide more feedback in a few hundred miles.

Regards,
jd

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back