Ford o Matic

Steve Springer

Steve Springer

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My Two Speed transmission is leaking where the throttle linkage is connected to the transmission. Can this seal be replaced from the Outside????

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

From what I remember from working on them , you can replace it from the outside. When you take the linkage off the shaft it should be a straight shaft. You should be able to hook the seal and remove it and then install a new seal.

Steve,

My 1955 Thunderbird has a transmission leak at the same area, I was told that the seal can be replaced with the transmission in the car, but it isn’t easy. This is the procedure I was told:

1. Get the car either on a hoist or up on jack stands
  2. Drain the transmission
  3. Remove the rear mount
  4. Remove the transmission pan
  5. Let it drip onto a collection pan overnight
  6. Use a pry bar and move the transmission as far to the passenger side as possible
  7. Remove the transmission control valve
  8. Remove the nut and detent lever from the manual shaft (Be very careful here to not let the detent ball and spring fly away from you)
  9. Pull the lever out of the transmission and replace the seal
  10. Reverse all steps and again be very careful to not let the detent ball go flying
Please let me know how replacing the seal using Dale's method works for you.

Doug
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back