E-Z Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I had bought a very cheap hoist for my '55 Thunderbird. It did cause some damage to the top because I left it in the hoist all summer. I never weighed the top but it seemed to be about the same weight as the '02 top. I bought it from Larrys Thunderbird in Calif. for $32.00 (almost anyone selling "littlebird" parts sell them) It is a very simple hoist consisting of 2 small pulleys, 2 nylon straps and a nylon rope. It looks weak but worked fine on the '55, just not meant for long storage. I think the most important part would be how it is secured to the garage. Also you still,kind of need 2 people, 1 can lift it ok but an extra hand is helpful to steady it, mostly when putting the top on, to line it up. By the way, I won't be using it on the '02 because I am storing the top in my daughters cellar and her husband will be helping to remove the top.

------------------
2002 Black/Black/Full Red
1957 Starmist Blue
1981 Shay ('55 Reproduction)(just sold it)

I had purchased a very cheap hardtop hoist for my '55 Bird, two years ago. It worked fine but did do some minor damage the top, my fault, because I left it in the hoist all summer, otherwise it did the job. I got mine from Larry's Thunderbird in California, for $32.00. It consists of 2 small pulleys, 2 (3"? wide)nylon slings, a nylon rope and a tie-down anchor. The most important part would be how you secure it to the garage rafters. You still really need 2 people, 1 person can lift it or lower it without any problem, but the extra hands to keep it steady and lined up, mostly when lowering it, is needed. I don't know about the better lifts, but I would think they have the same problem, because unless you are excatly stright under the hoist, once it is lifted, the top will swing. Also lining it up when you are putting the top back on, is a little tuff for 1 person. I will not be using this on the '02 bird, only because I will be storing the top in my daughters cellar and I will have the help of her husband to get it off and take it down stairs (I have to help him with his Boxter top). At the present time I don't have a garage.
This is not a plug for Larry's and you can buy this hoist from almost any "little bird" parts dealer, but here is their phone number if you want to call them 1-800-854-0393 and ask about it or buy it.

------------------
1957 Starmist Blue

I had purchased a very cheap hardtop hoist for my '55 Bird, two years ago. It worked fine but did do some minor damage the top, my fault, because I left it in the hoist all summer, otherwise it did the job. I got mine from Larry's Thunderbird in California, for $32.00. It consists of 2 small pulleys, 2 (3"? wide)nylon slings, a nylon rope and a tie-down anchor. The most important part would be how you secure it to the garage rafters. You still really need 2 people, 1 person can lift it or lower it without any problem, but the extra hands to keep it steady and lined up, mostly when lowering it, is needed. I don't know about the better lifts, but I would think they have the same problem, because unless you are excatly stright under the hoist, once it is lifted, the top will swing. Also lining it up when you are putting the top back on, is a little tuff for 1 person. I will not be using this on the '02 bird, only because I will be storing the top in my daughters cellar and I will have the help of her husband to get it off and take it down stairs (I have to help him with his Boxter top). At the present time I don't have a garage.
This is not a plug for Larry's and you can buy this hoist from almost any "little bird" parts dealer, but here is their phone number if you want to call them 1-800-854-0393 and ask about it or buy it.

------------------
1957 Starmist Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back