driveshaft removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
N
Last seen
here is another dumb question to where the answer is in the question.
do i have to drop the gas tank to remove the driveshaft?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Are you replacing the driveshaft as well? If all you are doing is replacing the transmission you don't need to completely remove the drive shaft. You will need to loosen the rear suspension and remove the axles from the differential (don't forget to get new seals for the differential), then loosen the diff itself so it can move back or even drop down. Then you'll have enough play to get the driveshaft removed from the tranny. You'll need an extra body to help disconnect the driveshaft though. The 12-point bolts have locktite on them and without someone making sure the tranny is in P or N as desired, you'll be hopping up and down an awful lot!

I would get the driveshaft loose before you remove the axles as you'll be able to use the brakes to assist in keeping the driveshaft stationary while you break the bolts loose. Just letting you know what I've been through in the past. Much easier that way.

I was trying to drop the shaft on my bird for towing on a dolly. After much sweat to get the 4 bolts off (not easy at all with that thread locker), I decided that it couldnt really be done easily, since the pumpkin would have to be dropped...

Ah, but if all you were doing was towing it on a dolly, those 4 bolts were all you needed. You can push the driveshaft forward just enough to clear the pinion and that would be enough to keep the tranny from spinning. The differential can spin, but just not the tranny. Food for thought for next time...

For sure! That's what I ended up doing. I could only get about a 1/2" gap between the two and was actually sweating it for about the first 20 miles...was imagining an accidental engagment over the fuel tank...haha.

Man I was cruising thru your Bird pics. Got a lot of love in that car man...it shows.

Thanks! Of course, most of those pics are meant to be flattering pics. Right now I feel like the car is neglected though! This year I finally get to continue some of the mods I've had in the works for a few years now. Once completed, it should be running in the 12s in the quarter mile. I still have a long way to go though, but I can at least start making some progress now! Stay tuned for more...

Thought this would fit best under driveshaft removal thread.

Removing axles...I have hit a road bump in that part. I am exchanging (upgrading) rearends. From the mechanic friend that I bought the new rear end from, we went over the removal process, but its not working so far. I thought it was because the rear suspension was still under compression (on ramps)...not the case. I can pop out the axles about 2 inches and it feels like there is a retainer holding it from coming completely out. I'm obviously missing something here.

Good news is that the fuel pump has been completed :).

You have to loosen up the top of the rear knuckle and rotate the top down so it can allow enough play for the axle to completely be removed from the differential. You can leave the bottom two bolts that hold the knuckle to the lower control arm, but the top bolt on the knuckle needs to be completely removed from the upper control arm. Then you rotate the knuckle down which pulls the axle out of the differential (as long as it is already loose, which it sounds like yours are). Hope that's clear enough for you... if not, let me know. I'll be on the road a for the next 5 days or so, but I'll be able to check my email about once a day.

Well, still not so good on this. I have buttoned everything back up to make the car operational untill the weather cooperates and I have the time again. I don't like getting beat by the car - but I usually win in the end. No biggie. Taking the top of the knuckle off did help a bunch, but it still felt like there was something holding it back from coming out completely. I did roatate the axle but even that didnt quite do it. I appreciate all your help! BTW I took the time to read your story and WOW...I have always been the "pay it forward" type, but it's nice to see a company with that mentality. Hope your doing well.

Thanks again,
Culley

You just about had it... Once you have the upper part of the knuckle loose, you have to use a little "persuasion" to get it all the way out. Sometimes I've had to pry it out of the differential a little by bending the cv joint closest to the differential. In the end, you'll be able to get it. You'll probably find that next time you try, it'll just come right out. Seems like it works that way for me! LOL!

The itch is really coming back to me now too... just purchased a new part and am in the process of reworking an intake manifold. It will all go on a rebuilt engine with fewer than 10k on it (my engine has 105+k). I'm also getting ready for some serious head work as well. I can't wait for nice weather! LOL!

By the way, the "company" I work for is the Army...they have to take care of me! :D

Ha! figures I was so close! I was using quite a bit of "persuasion" to get that "insert any cuss word here" axle out and I just got to pressed for time. I had company watching me work too, and I had to be patient in hearing their ideas :). Any how I do really appreciate your help in getting this car back to the road.

Here's another "what do you think" scenario. After replacing the fuel pump, and fuel pump regulator, I thought the flat spot in my acceleration would disappear. It has not. It only happens during extreme exceleration. Basically the engine cuts at high rpm, and reengages at low rpm. like the rev limiter was hit...car remains running.

Well I'm in the Houston area (for now) I travel a bit, but if your ever in the neighborhood, I'll buy the steaks!

Thanks for your service, and your knowledge.

Culley

That totally sounds like an ignition problem. Plugs, wires, coils, ignition control module are all a distinct possibility there. On a more rare occasion, it could be your MAF or TPS (Throttle position sensor).

Shoot, I'm on my way home from Houston right now! I'm down there every three weeks. Usually not there too long but I certainly could have helped you get your differential out!

I'm thinking your right. It has been starting mostly on the second but sometimes third try...camshaft sensor is new, so I'm thinking its the ecm?

Hope your drive is done...you were going thru the worst of our winter weather in a long time!

That very well could be the issue. I know that they can cause a lot of intermittent problems. If you have new plugs and wires, new cam sensor, and your ignition control module and coils check out, that is a definite possibility.

I was out ahead of the weather. The only weather I really hit was the line of thunderstorms on Monday as I drove into town...hit them north of Huntsville, (a few miles north of the Sam Houston statue on I45) and drove through them pretty much the whole way down to where I stay in Stafford (SW Houston). Other than that, I was in front of the bad weather. :)

It also occurred to me that on the rear differential, if as you're trying to get the axles out, you can also loosen the differential up and support it with a jack, you can move it both left and right to get the axles out even easier...

My girl is being cantankerous...threw a P0401 code (egr pressure too low). Probably a vaccuum leak but I haven't checked it out yet. I had the differential unbolted and pushed this way and that...it even got a kick or two...It really felt like retaining clips on the inside was keeping it from completely seperating. Any how, glad you made it through the weather! I'm sure you are used to it compared to us down here...we just shut down and stay home:). Let me know when you head this way next time!

Now that you mention it, those are known for having an issue with the intake manifolds. They tend to crack and then there's a vacuum leak if you're lucky, if you're not lucky, you're looking at a new engine (or rebuild) because coolant got into your intake thus engine...Most don't have to replace the engine though as it is generally just a crack that allows air to seep into the intake. Could be another possibility...

I'll be back in Houston on March 1st...not sure what I'll be doing yet...have a highschool friend I sometimes hang out with a some family down there as well. I'll let you know.

Well I pulled the vaccuum line and didn't find any apparent issues. Reset the computer and nothing since. She is definitely running better with all the tlc she has been getting lately. Just a matter of doing what I can when I can. I have a few more things on the list, but nothing that will keep it off the road. I will be working the Houston Fishing Show soon after you arrive...might be worth you and a buddy to see.

I'm not there long...get there Monday night, Tuesday is my appointment and then I leave again on Wednesday morning...each trip is pretty quick like that! LOL!

Glad your 'Bird is running better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back