1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Dismiss Notice

Bouncing speedometer. SMH

Discussion in '1955 - 1966 Classic Ford Thunderbird' started by Whitetrashfamilia, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Speedometer issues. My Speedo in my 62 t-bird bounces when I drive it. Almost like its on a spring. Its crazy. My question is will a new speedometer cable fix this or is it in the gauge itself. Any help appreciated

2. I would first check the speedo cable and see if its not damaged and if the outer shell is not bend too sharp. If that seems to be ok, or the speedo meter can be dirty inside, or the drive wheel inside the transmission is damaged.

Whitetrashfamilia likes this.
  4. Thanks I will definitely check out the drive wheel. Cable looked fine when I unscrewed it from the gauge.

5. AKBirdie

AKBirdie '29 Ford Model A - my 1st car to 2011 Lincoln MKS Lifetime Donor

I had a '63 Plymouth Fury with the same problem years ago, my favorite car by the way. I was told if the kining and the cable look good, to disconnect it from the transmission and pull the cable out and clean it well and add a good lubricant on the cable and reinsert the cable. Make sure the speedo end seats well. Work great.

Whitetrashfamilia likes this.

Help us by sharing/liking this page below and G+1!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!