Bouncing speedometer. SMH

Whitetrashfamilia

Whitetrashfamilia

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Speedometer issues. My Speedo in my 62 t-bird bounces when I drive it. Almost like its on a spring. Its crazy. My question is will a new speedometer cable fix this or is it in the gauge itself. Any help appreciated

Speedometer issues. My Speedo in my 62 t-bird bounces when I drive it. Almost like its on a spring. Its crazy. My question is will a new speedometer cable fix this or is it in the gauge itself. Any help appreciated
I would first check the speedo cable and see if its not damaged and if the outer shell is not bend too sharp. If that seems to be ok, or the speedo meter can be dirty inside, or the drive wheel inside the transmission is damaged.

Thanks I will definitely check out the drive wheel. Cable looked fine when I unscrewed it from the gauge.

I had a '63 Plymouth Fury with the same problem years ago, my favorite car by the way. I was told if the kining and the cable look good, to disconnect it from the transmission and pull the cable out and clean it well and add a good lubricant on the cable and reinsert the cable. Make sure the speedo end seats well. Work great.

Back