A wrench fault on dash

B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Last week when rapidly accelerating from a stop sign, the wrench indicator came opn and the car went into a limp home mode. Has anybody experienced this before?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Had the same problem several weeks ago, it is likely a bad electronic throttle connection. The fault was resolved by banging on the engine top cover by a certified Ford mechanic. Too bad mechanical accelerator linkage are old school...

Mine is doing this now. Have you been able to find out what is was?

After the wrench appeared, the car limped to a parking lot. I turned it off and waited a minute or so and restarted it and the light was out and it rain well. Looked in manual and a accelerator linkage malfunction was mentioned. I called Ford dealer and he said I could bring it in and they would put it on the computer to check it out. I have not done it yet, but will let you know when I do. The service rep indicated that if the wrench went out, then there should be nothing to worry about.

Once I turned the car off and back on, the wrench disappeared and it ran fine. This still concerns me though as I was in very heavy traffic when this happened and I'm sure it will happen again. A few weeks before it acted like it had bad gas - I put stabilizer in the gas and filled it up and just drove it for a few local trips. This was my first longer trip since then. I'll check out the accelerator linkage malfunction issue. I'm not wanting this to happen again.

Thanks all!

Once I turned the car off and back on, the wrench disappeared and it ran fine. This still concerns me though as I was in very heavy traffic when this happened and I'm sure it will happen again. A few weeks before it acted like it had bad gas - I put stabilizer in the gas and filled it up and just drove it for a few local trips. This was my first longer trip since then. I'll check out the accelerator linkage malfunction issue. I'm not wanting this to happen again.

Thanks all!
I’m now experiencing the ? issue. Did you resolve your proble?

I’m now experiencing the ? issue. Did you resolve your proble?
Experiencing exact same problem, just before a long trip
Made it to mechanic’s in limp mode, waiting for diagnosis

The wrench light illuminates when there is a fault in the Electronic Throttle Control resulting in "Limp-Home” operation.

The problem could be that the throttle actuator control motor failed the self test resulting in an incorrect throttle position command or the throttle actuator control motor wires are shorted together. This usually results in fault codes P2107 and P2110 being stored.

Ford has a Special Service Message related to these code and issue.

Special Service Message: 2003-2005 Thunderbirds with DTC P2107 and P2110 stored, perform a coil stress test on all ignition coils before any other part replacement is considered. An ignition coil may create radio frequency interference resulting in these codes being set.

Ignition coil failures are common. When the vehicle was still under warranty, Ford offered a one-time repair for the replacement of the ignition coils, the valve cover gaskets and wiper motor bracket seal when evidence of water or oil contamination was found on the ignition coil assemblies or in the spark plug wells. Oil or water contamination may cause internal damage to the ignition coil assembly, resulting in premature failure of the ignition coil assemblies.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: JWD
Back