64-66 three row aluminum radiators good/bad

S

stevetheweave1

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
One of the few radiator repair shops left advised me to buy aluminum radiator because copper price makes repairs expensive on stock radiators. I don't know but when installing a 3 row aluminum is there fan clearance problems? Seems as though all the pics I see have electric fans on them.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

One of the few radiator repair shops left advised me to buy aluminum radiator because copper price makes repairs expensive on stock radiators. I don't know but when installing a 3 row aluminum is there fan clearance problems? Seems as though all the pics I see have electric fans on them.
I have a "Q CODE" 66 and when going on a cruise she runs hotter than I like. I was considering installing a electric fan before a new radiator.

I am not overheating, the radiator is just rotten to the core. Aluminum radiators are prevalent now because copper prices are high. It would be nice to remain stock but cost is a consideration, but so is the trouble to modify fans to electric if it is needed. I was just inquiring as to who is running aluminum radiators and the type of fan you are using.

The heat transfer should be the same, but aluminum is more prone to corrosion than copper so proper antifreeze should be a consideration.

The heat transfer should be the same, but aluminum is more prone to corrosion than copper so proper antifreeze should be a consideration.
when I needed to replace my radiator I went with an copper/brass radiator. I like to be able to get a repair on the road. That is the same reason that I changed to an alternator. I like to drive to events with friends in the club. However since I installed the new radiator I only use distilled water. I am fortunate to live where I do not need to use anti-freeze. I also note anti-freeze is less friendly to cooling. I am planning a new aluminum radiator for my '65 Ranchero V-8. I will also use distilled water in that for the same reasons; cooling temp and corrosion. You have offered up a good point regarding corrosion and aluminum. I have had this problem with aluminum timing covers, intake manifolds and water necks on Ford Windsor engines. thanks for the good reminder.

I installed a champion 3 row in my 66. I also installed a dual fan set up. It.is.tight. I went with a 4000cfm Spal set up and upgraded my alternator to a tuff stuff 7068.
It cools it all down, but it is very snug. It was not less expensive, but it works better.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Andrew could you be more specific as to the modification needed to mount an alternator. Also how much trouble was it to wire up the electric fans and how did you mount them? Good job love the way it looks looks factory.

Andrew could you be more specific as to the modification needed to mount an alternator. Also how much trouble was it to wire up the electric fans and how did you mount them? Good job love the way it looks looks factory.
I bought a slighly different Pulley from Macs and Im using a billit mount for an fe 390, with an 8-11"

I bought a slighly different Pulley from Macs and Im using a billit mount for an fe 390, with an 8-11"
tensioner instead of the one thst came with it. it is a single wire alternator. I made new 1/0 wires for both hots and grounds. I added another frame ground.
no other modification needed.
The pulley is 2.850 and a bit deeper than the pulley that came with it. Got all that through Summit. (The original screamed at a constant, killing a cat decible)
The 4000 cfm Spal fan shroud with spal relays was expensive but only required slight modification. Had all that installed at Hot Rod's fabrication in Roseville Ca. The installation was not easy due to the close-quarters. Im running some stereo gear so I have a lot of electrical modifications. Battery and 5 Farad capacitor in the trunk.
alternator was 400, pulley was 40, bracket was 80 longer tensioner was 28. Fans were 400, relays were 300.
The fan modifications were minor cutting of some rubber seal to drop it in tight to the radiator. Radiator was 300.866F635B-6DDA-4403-A7B2-2528379F9F54.png

here are some more pictures of the set up
15DAEC52-36FB-4A7C-9735-FD74A64C1E90.jpeg0EA5168B-4A2A-4FDC-868B-58AADA0C8137.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Steve. FWIW, I have a Tri-Carb Factory AC '62 T-Bird and recently replaced the ORIGINAL radiator w/ a 3-Row Copper/Brass Radiator. After all of the research I did, which is what you are doing now, the 3-Row Copper/Brass radiator was the route I chose. It has been working great all thru the summer here in Central Florida. It was pricey, but not outrageous. When I pop the hood every thing looks nice and stock.

Last edited:
Hi Steve. FWIW, I have a Tri-Carb Factory AC '62 T-Bird and recently replaced the ORIGINAL radiator w/ a 3-Row Copper/Brass Radiator. After all of the research I did, which is what you are doing now, the 3-Row Copper/Brass radiator was the route I chose. It has been working great all thru the summer here in Central Florida. It was pricey, but not outrageous. When I pop the hood every thing looks nice and stock.
Danny, What is the engine code for your '62? thanks , J,

Back