2004 persistent rattle

clmiller1776

clmiller1776

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Bird with 280K miles commuter miles! Suspected suspension rattle on bumps. Sounds most like heavier suspension components. Believed to be in the right front but could be telescoping. Have tried without finding a problem: !. jacked up car and checked up and down suspension. 2. wiggled all suspension components by hand and with a mallet. 3. checked visually the appearance of bushings, fastenings and sway bar and all seemed normal.

Would appreciate any further suggestions for eliminating this nuisance rattle! Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It’s probably sway bar links, the best way to check them is on a drive on rack and just pull up and down on the sway bar closest to the control arm, a worn out link will rattle where a bushing will have more of a popping noise

Bird with 280K miles commuter miles! Suspected suspension rattle on bumps. Sounds most like heavier suspension components. Believed to be in the right front but could be telescoping. Have tried without finding a problem: !. jacked up car and checked up and down suspension. 2. wiggled all suspension components by hand and with a mallet. 3. checked visually the appearance of bushings, fastenings and sway bar and all seemed normal.

Would appreciate any further suggestions for eliminating this nuisance rattle! Thanks!
You have 280k miles...of course there's rattle. 😂 And I thought my 193k was a lot. Seriously though, these rattles drive me absolutely bonkers too. I have some sort of strange vibration sound that comes from the engine bay that I can't quite pin point, nor can I recreate on demand. Good luck with the suspension. Let us know what you find out.

To really check for suspension movement you need a crowbar. The rattle could be coming from the hydro bushings
in the rear suspension.

Bring it to a KNOWLEDGEABLE mechanic most in my experience are hacks get referrals

Back