2004 driver door won't open

waltham
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi,
After a move I let my car sitting for more than a year (bad, I know...). Of course the battery's dead. It happenned before and could unlock the trunk with the switch that is behind the driver seat to access the battery.
But not this time : I can't even open the driver door :(
When I put the car keys and turn, I don't feel the usual resistance, and nothinf happens.
Any idea would be welcome. Thanks!!

...and all this just after I spend half an hour washing it with great expectation....

Spray in a good amount of a penetrating oil (WD40 or Kroil) in the key slot, let it sit for 30 minutes, and then insert the key and work it side to side. This might free the mechanism, if not, call a towing company and ask them to come and jimmy the door lock. After they open the door, work the lock up and down manually and the door switch/door handle too...

If all fails to free it, make an appointment at your Ford dealer to have the panel taken off and your mechanism cleaned and lubed.

I put so much WD40 that it was dripping below :°)
Failure was an option... Well, I guess I have to call my garage now... Thanks for the tip anyway Johnvins.

Just to end this post. It seems that since I didn't protect the car for a while pollen seeped through the back of the windows and the roof and went inside the door lock.
With a friend we opened the door using a wire to use the latch, using wedges between the windows and the roof.
Once that little button cleaned (and the battery charged) everything went right.

Final conclusion : use that cover of yours....

Back