2003 Stuck in park

Blkbrd03

Blkbrd03

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Any one know why my gear shift would be getting stuck in Park? I can eventually get it to move and the car drives fine, but the button you push in seems to get locked while in park. Would like to have a clue before calling Ford.

I had the same issue on my ‘04. If you search on SW-5474 on eBay it can be easily found. Only took a few minutes to swap out. No problems since.

HELP!! 2002 Bird, 41,xxx miles. Starts fine but won't come out of park! No problem lights and don't have an ODB reader! There had been a problem with a flash flood and about an inch of water on the floors. Drained all water and ran a dehumidifier for two weeks until it came up dry after 48 hours. At least I need a hint on how to get it out of park so that I can move it before I try to replace the brake light switch....

HELP!! 2002 Bird, 41,xxx miles. Starts fine but won't come out of park! No problem lights and don't have an ODB reader! There had been a problem with a flash flood and about an inch of water on the floors. Drained all water and ran a dehumidifier for two weeks until it came up dry after 48 hours. At least I need a hint on how to get it out of park so that I can move it before I try to replace the brake light switch....
Yet another senior moment! Any tricks to removing lower trim panel on dash to allow access to yhe brake light switch? I've removed the three scfrew/clips on the front edge and am afraid to breaking something by applying too much pressure! Panel is loose but seems to be held in the rear by something that I can't see.

After removing the driver seat to allow my 73 yr old and large body to see what I was doing I discovered that I had removed the dash pins rather than the proper lower trim panel pins. The switch is now out and waiting for Amazon delivery of he new switch. Fingers crossed ans many thanks for the asssistance with this issue. BTW I just downloaded a 10,000+ page 2002 service manual for only $5.00!! Seems to be OK! (onlymanuals.com)

Back