2003 erratic telescopic wheel & warning lights

A
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
my 2003 all of a sudden all waring light on dash all flash on&off tilt telescopic erratic in out up down.car runs drives fine everything works except tilt,teloscopic.fem been replaced unplug all modules same issue.any body else have this.ford has no idea.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

my 2003 all of a sudden all waring light on dash all flash on&off tilt telescopic erratic in out up down.car runs drives fine everything works except tilt,teloscopic.fem been replaced unplug all modules same issue.any body else have this.ford has no idea.
Hello
I have the same issue with my 2003. Had both the front & rear modules along with the gage cluster all repaired to solve other issues then the tilt steering issue shows up. Also, it will start and run for a few seconds then shut down.
Will have to remove the key then re-insert and repeat the engine start process 3 or 4 times then it will start and run like there is no problems??? Each time I insert the key the tilt steering will move out like it's supposed to then it will retract like I removed the key but I didn't! On approx. the 4th try it starts like normal. Could it be the ignition switch not correctly detecting the key? I tried the spare key and same thing. Could it have something to do with the anti-theft?

Any help would be great, Thanks.

Start by checking for faults stored in all control modules. Fault codes might help you determine the cause of your stalling and tilt steering issues. Note any DTCs and freeze frame data that are stored before clearing the fault codes. After clearing the fault codes does the engine stall? After clearing the fault codes do any fault codes return?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Hello and thank you for the reply.
Can this be done using a standard OBD2 code scanner which I have and have used which shows no fault codes? Or would I need to take it to a dealer?
Thanks again.

A standard OBD2 scanner will only read codes and data in the engine control module only. You need a scanner that will read all the control modules in the car. @biddle recommends the BlueDriver Bluetooth Pro OBDII Scan Tool. It's not the greatest scan tool, but for the price how can you go wrong.

Purchase Link- https://amzn.to/3dit2oT

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I have the BlueDriver Scan Tool.
Read, saved and cleared all codes to get started.
Removed ingnition key, removed the BlueDriver, let it sit for a bit then reinserted the key and turned to on position. The tilt telescopic steering positioned it self as it should and stayed there.
However all other issues as discribed above still remained?
Once it started and continued to run. I shut it back down and re-ran the BlueDrive scan and the codes are shown in the attached picture.
I suspected the "PATS" was shutting the engine down just not sure why?
Also, What the heck is the "Driver Solar Radiation Sensor" shown in the last B2796 Error Code?
2003 Thunderbird Fault Codes.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you have a voltage out of range fault code stored in the ABS control module, the first thing you should do is to check the battery condition to make sure you have a fully charged battery. Insufficient battery voltage can cause all kinds of havoc.

The microprocessor in the instrument cluster is connected to the PATS transceiver module which is located behind the center of the dash. That same microprocessor in the instrument cluster also controls the tilt and telescopic sensors in the steering column.

Instrument Cluster.JPG

Check fuse #24 in the Central Junction Box which feeds power to the PATS transceiver module. Check the orange/blue wire for power with the key on and black wire for a good ground at the PATS transceiver module.

Antitheft Alarm System.JPG
Using an oscilloscope, when you turn the key on, you should see just a blip of voltage for a few milliseconds on the white/red wire at PATS transceiver module from the instrument cluster. If that voltage appears you should then see a voltage blip on the grey/red wire back to the instrument cluster from PATS transceiver. If there is no voltage blip from instrument cluster to PATS transceiver, suspect a defective microprocessor in the instrument cluster. If you have a voltage blip from the instrument cluster to PATS transceiver but no voltage blip back to instrument cluster, suspect a defective transponder in the key or a defective PATS transceiver.

Before going any further, I would perform a parameter reset and reprogram the keys. You will need 2 keys to reprogram the system after a parameter reset.

The Driver Solar Radiation Sensor is the sun load sensor on the top of the dash. PATS transceiver uses a visual theft indicator. Under normal operation this indicator will illuminate for three seconds when the ignition switch is turned to run or start. If there is a PATS problem this indicator will either flash rapidly or glow steadily when the ignition switch is turned to run or start.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

OEM Anti-Theft Alarm System.JPG

Seemed to have gotten my 2003 T-bird issues fixed.
With having issues as described and going nowhere trying to solve.
I remembered reading a post somewhere stating that these cars were prone to poor grounding..
So, as a last resort I chased down the suspect grounding locations under the dash.
Removed, cleaned and put die electric grease under the screw head and coated the threads, also coated all contact surfaces of the grounding washers the wires are attached to.
I did not like how the grounds located behind the kick panels on drivers and passenger side were attached to the car body! See pictures.
The surface the grounds are attached to are fully painted. This is an insulator, a poor grounding surface for sure..
The washers with the ground wires attached have no serrations to penetrate the paint when the screw is tightened.
These areas are fully painted at the factory. So, the inside of the screw holes will be painted too.
The screws look to be “self taping” meaning they cut there own threads as they are screwed in.
This should make a good grounding contact through screw to the ground mounting washers. But not always?
I did not scrape the paint off so the ground washers would make direct contact to bare metal of the car body. I did as described above. It seems to have been good enough.
Doing nothing else but just removing, cleaning and greasing the grounds. I inserted and turned the key to on and NO funny stuff!! No weird head light flashes, Steering wheel positioned itself as it should and the anti-theft light on the dash acted normal. The car started and continued to run like normal 1st try.

Attachments

• 20240203_095709.jpg
    20240203_095709.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • 20240203_095653.jpg
    20240203_095653.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 20240203_095611.jpg
    20240203_095611.jpg
    973.7 KB · Views: 9
The grounds that you cleaned in the first picture is ground G204, which among other things is the ground for the PAT Transceiver Module and the microprocessor in the instrument cluster. The grounds that you cleaned in the third picture is ground G203, which among other things is the ground for the microprocessor in the instrument cluster.
I don't know which of the ground connections that you cleaned corrected the issues that you were having, but I must congratulate you on how your persistence paid off and how you logically repaired the vehicle.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back