2003 Anti-theft PATS system can't reset

Synchrony
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My brother is a life-long mechanic. I inherited a 2003 Thunderbird from my Dad a couple of years ago. We've had mostly minor issues with it, but when the coils started acting up, I took it to my brother. He replaced the coils and spark plugs. He took it for a test drive and it was running "almost too good", in his words. He pulled back into his shop and since won't start. He said all of the gauges went to max. He talked with another mechanic who says it sounds like the PATS anit-theft system kicked in. My brother has worked for hours on it and just can't get to start. He even took the ignition out to test it -- and the starter. I'm about ready to take it to a Ford dealer ($$$).

So, last ditch effort: Is anyone familiar with a problem like this and knows any potential fixes. Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My brother is a life-long mechanic. I inherited a 2003 Thunderbird from my Dad a couple of years ago. We've had mostly minor issues with it, but when the coils started acting up, I took it to my brother. He replaced the coils and spark plugs. He took it for a test drive and it was running "almost too good", in his words. He pulled back into his shop and since won't start. He said all of the gauges went to max. He talked with another mechanic who says it sounds like the PATS anit-theft system kicked in. My brother has worked for hours on it and just can't get to start. He even took the ignition out to test it -- and the starter. I'm about ready to take it to a Ford dealer ($$$).

So, last ditch effort: Is anyone familiar with a problem like this and knows any potential fixes. Thanks!
This can only be fixed by clearing or replacing your keys and reprograming new keys with a Snap on Solus edge controller with Pats system program.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back