2002 Thunderbird seat comfort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the same complaint. Later discovered the knob on the right fron of the driver's seat. It's a big one, next to the console.
I'ts to change the lumbar position of the seat. I found that once I turned it to the extreme in or left position the lumbar support worked correctly and the seat is now very comfortable.
I found the knob and asked what it was for on the net. Told it was for lumbar adjustment. I'm surprised no one here mentioned it.
Bmcn

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I traded in a new '02 SLK 32 AMG for the Bird, and I have to tell you the Bird's seats are LUXURIOUS compared to the Benz's.

I took a short jaunt down to Tucson in the Benz, and it about broke my back...seates were as hard as a rock and the stiff ride only made it worse...the Bird's seats are comparable to anything I've ever owned or driven...but for some of us, it's may be just getting it to the right adjustment to make a difference...

And I do not agree that Ford's seats are notoriously uncomfortable...have owned several (including Mustang) and find them just as good if not better than GM, Benz, BMW or VW (don't own Chryslers so can't comment on them...)

Since I started this thread, I thought I might provide an update on my original complaint about seat (dis)comfort...

As DavidA suggested in an earlier post, he found the seats uncomfortable at first but later they seemed very comfortable to him. Well, I have <luckily> experienced a similar transition. After lots and lots of seat adjustments, I believe I have found my "zone". The principal improvement from my point of view was (as others have suggested) to tilt the seat back further. My transition from a rather upright position in my Acura Integra to a more leaning-back position in my T-bird has taken some getting used to, but I am now satisfied with the seats. A side benefit of the more leaned-back position is an improvement in visibility below the top of the windshield frame.

I cannot say I'm "very happy" with the seats because the lateral support is lame (I think everyone would agree with that?). The poor lateral support, however, is not a comfort/discomfort issue, IMO at least. But while I cannot say I'm "very happy" seat-wise, I am no longer "unhappy". In the first two weeks of T-birding, my neck and back hurt after even short rides. Now, however, I am good-to-go. Just finished a 340-mile business trip in my T-bird and my neck is fine!. Wow, what a relief after a first few weeks of discomfort-bordering-on-buyer's remorse.

As I tell my friends around here, I love my T-bird more now than when I first got it 6 weeks ago. And I can honestly say I do love my T-bird.

Just a question...does the T-Bird have some kind of seat memory? I know what a pain I have with my Mustang Convert when someone messes with one of the 6 controls for the seat after I have spent weeks getting it just where I want it! I know that I am a pain with the seat adjustments but it is such a pain to get the car back from the car wash to discover that during the 30 seconds someone was in it they hit all the adjustment buttons!!!

No, the Bird does not have seat memory. this is the one option that I also miss. They will probably offer it next year. That way we will have a reason to buy another new Bird.

------------------
02 Black T-Bird
1955 Sunliner Convertible
1955 Crown Victoria Glass Top
1931 Model "A" Panel Delivery Truck
1931 Model "A" Station Wagon
1971 Chevrolet S/B Pick up

As I said earlier in this post I believe the seats are uncomfortable. I have 1800 miles now on the car and my feelings are still the same. I have to lean all the way back as my torso is too tall for any other position anyway, but the seats are just too darn hard, combined with no lateral or correct lumbar(not the knob) support, they kill my back. All of you,listen, do yourselves a favor if you can or want to, go sit any 60, 70 or 80 series Volvo and you'll see what I'm talking about. They're the most comfortable car seats, period. Maybe Ford can learn from them. Most automobile reviewers say the same thing, that Volvo's have great seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back