2002 Needs Engine Replaced - Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fuzzylollipop

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
I have a 2002 with approximately 160,000+ miles that started knocking on the top end on one side and a bad rattle in the front bottom of the engine. Something in the valve train has gone bad and the timing chain is shot, short story, engine swap is needed.

I am having a really hard time finding a used 3.9L engine with reasonable miles for a reasonable price, and I can't afford the price of a rebuilt one from Ford, who apparently are the only ones that are offering a rebuilt 3.9.

I know that the 3.9 in the T-Bird was used in the LS and some of the S-Types.

What I am finding is plenty of 4.2L normally aspirated S-Type motors from the same years at very reasonable prices with low milage.

From my research the only physical/mechanical difference is the bore/stroke. The block should be the same, so I am thinking it should be a drop in replacement mechanically.

I have also read speculation that the electronics from the 3.9 should work with the 4.2 with little to no modification as they should adjust themselves for the most part.

What I don't know is will the transmission match up and would the 4.2 electronics work with the T-Bird harness?

Will an LS 3.9 be more adaptable with less effort/expense, they are pretty hard to find as well.

The car has been wrecked twice through no fault of my own, hit while sitting still twice now. So it isn't "worth" much on the resale market, so I am not concerned about resale value or hacking it up, this was to be my last car. Unfortunately I need to fix it as inexpensively as possible, I have a good reliable shop to work on it I just need an engine solution now.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Moderator Note: Purchase the 2002 3.9 Engine here - https://www.ebay.com/sch/?kw=3.9L+V8+AJ35+Engine+Motor&campid=5338236430

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It has a chain just like the Jaguar 4.0L. They are both from the same engine family and almost identical in design. This is from the time Ford owned Jaguar.

I've found you a working 3.9 TBird engine, if you're interested PM me your email address and where you are from

Last edited:
All good stuff for Fuzzy, but he's not here :confused::confused:

Where is the engine and what condition is it in? I already had someone teardown the engine, it isn't repairable.

I found you an engine and do not want to be part of any deal, especially on public postings.

As I said in my earlier post, send me a PM with your email address....Do this and I will send you the sellers email so you both can discuss in private and make your best deal. :cool:

Fuzzy....Sorry I recently found out it is a 2003 engine. However the '03's are 280 HP vs. 252. So maybe this is even better for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back