2002- correct battery?

C

cool57

Last seen
My 2002 has a replacement battery installed by the previous owner. The spare tire cover will not sit down all the way because the battery interferes. I removed the carry handle thinking that might help, but the cover still sticks up a little. He also left off the battery hold down bracket. All of this makes me think he had an incorrect size battery installed in there. Does anyone know an exact fit battery for our Thunderbirds? Thank you.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My 2002 has a replacement battery installed by the previous owner. The spare tire cover will not sit down all the way because the battery interferes. I removed the carry handle thinking that might help, but the cover still sticks up a little. He also left off the battery hold down bracket. All of this makes me think he had an incorrect size battery installed in there. Does anyone know an exact fit battery for our Thunderbirds? Thank you.
Bought one at Ford dealer ----------- decent price -------- orig equipment.

The 2002 battery size is 12.1" x 7.6" x 7.6" (30.6 cm x 19.2 cm x 19.4 cm) and a group code of 66 and Must be Vented.
Batteries do Not Like to "Shake Rattle and Roll", suggest installing the hold down bracket.

I replaced a battery for my 2002 from Ford dealership with a FoMoCo battery and all fit correct.

Scary stuff if the hold down bracket is missing. Recommend an AGM rated in size and amp hrs. for the Bird. All proper batts will have the vent line connection. Check with ThunderbirdBob for bracket and fasteners. Secure and vent a proper batt. and da Bird will be happy.

100_6910.JPG

100_6913.JPG

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

My 05 has a Duracell Platimum 2x 65AGM, fits perfectly and does not regqire venting. as it is a sealed bettery. 4 year replacement warranty. It works for me and is connected to a Deltran Battery Tender Plus 021-0128 to keep the batter topped off.

Advance auto has correct Die hards price is under $200

DieHard GoldBattery, Group Size 66, 750 CCA

That is what my 2002 had from the previous owner...
I see a lot of posts about ONLY using Motorcraft batteries; the truth is that there are only 2-3 companies making batteries and they are rebranded for various vendors. Johnson Controls makes a vast majority of them, so any suitable battery that meets specs and dimensions is acceptable.

Back