Is 60k mileage too late to use Mobil 1?
I have no leaks at this time. I only put
1,500 miles on her in the last year. I
have never had a vehicle with such low
use. I don't have experience with synthetic
oils at such low use. Is it worth it?
Thanks in advance
Ken

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I would go for it. If you’re changing oil annually, cost isn’t much of a factor. Better protection and less breakdown of the synthetic over time?

We started using in in our 2004 Jeep at 99k miles.
P.S.
I revised your subject "oil vs mileage 2003"

I used Castrol Edge in my 96 bird, 275,000 miles, NO problems. 2012 Escape 120,000 no problems, 88 Bronco 290,000 NO problems. my 2005 72,000 no problems. Synthetic is so much better then conventional oil.

It seems silly to add the expense of synthetic. Even if you only go 1500 miles you need to change the oil more than once a year.

I've used nothing BUT synthetic since 1996 in classic Mustangs, Corvettes and my 02 Bird. It will NOT cause leaks - that's a myth.

I agree whole headedly , Best oil I ever used. I run synthetic in everything BUT my mowers, NO ethanol in them either.

Is 60k mileage too late to use Mobil 1?
I have no leaks at this time. I only put
1,500 miles on her in the last year. I
have never had a vehicle with such low
use. I don't have experience with synthetic
oils at such low use. Is it worth it?
Thanks in advance
Ken
Always worth it. If you were using the motorcraft semi which would have kept the motor clean you won't notice any difference.

Always worth it. If you were using the motorcraft semi which would have kept the motor clean you won't notice any difference. THAT is assuming full synthetic is always a better oil and that is not neccesarily true today.

I have decided to go ahead with Mobil 1. What filter is
best for this product? Motorcraft has been used in the
records I found from previous owner.

There are several filter test video's out there, so go watch and see what works best for your situation. They take them apart and check how they are constructed, but the biggest factor is how small of particles will the filter filter out? Most try to filter 20 microns and bigger particles. Anything smaller usually does not cause issues.
I never let my oil get real dirty, personally. A relative bought new Honda Accords every 3 years and sell off the old cars at around 100K miles, but usually to a family member. One family reunion there were 5 of his cars there, the oldest had 285K on it, oil changes always at 3000 miles, and they just kept going and going.

Yes, however there are highly refined dino oils that provide the same protection. But they are a out the same cost.

Synthetic oils have higher lubricity than conventional oils and stand up better over time. Only downside is they will tend to leak out of spots where a conventional oil will not. Cost is actually less due to improved gas mileage and longevity of engine.. I have a 2001 Mercury sable that has had Mobil 1 in since new and now has 275,00 miles and still runs strong. You make a mistake not to use synthetics.

Back